A reicast issue that makes no sense to me

Ok so here’s one issue i can’t figure out

I have a pretty functional RetroArch setup and reicast is working fine. So i wanted to transfer the whole thing into a portable disk drive. I know that the directories don’t matter except for the custom shader presets. Everything else is portable and the default directories change automatically in the cfg file (i checked to make sure it’s like so).

So i copied-pasted the thing without changing anything, except for the shaders but i don’t use a shader for Reicast so it’s not an issue.

After i did so, i tested every system to make sure everything works correctly. And it does, there is no reason for something to not work as there is no difference in the files…

…Except for Reicast. This gives me a black screen when i run it from the new drive. I can hear the sound but see no video. I run it from the original drive and it works fine there.

I re-copied everything to make sure there wasn’t a bad copy or something. Same thing though, when i run reicast from the new drive i get a black screen. Same files, same options, same versions, same drivers, same everything. Only the drive is different.

I’m trying to figure out what the hell is the difference that makes it behave this way and i cannot find anything. Am i missing something?

I run my stuff off a portable drive myself, but have not run into this problem. I know the most common black-screen issue I have with Reicast is when setting up a new RA version I alwys forget about the hardware-context toggle - maybe that? I don’t fully understand that toggle so I might be saying something stupid.

The only other idea I can think of is the USB port? Are you using a 2.0 port maybe? ‘could’ maybe be something. I’m not sure.

hardware-context toggle was ON. But either way, i copied-pasted the cfg file so there wasn’t any difference.

After a lot of trying i gave up. Then just a moment ago i decided to give it a few more tries to see if i can figure it out. And now it works! Without changing anything, it just decided that it annoyed me enough so now it can do what it’s supposed to do. Thanks reicast!

:confused:

1 Like

Aint that how it goes though? haha glad you got it working. Maybe I’ll try the PPSSPP core again, see if it decided to do the same for me XD

1 Like

I’d like to ask, why isn’t hardware-context ON by default? Is there any side effect to it?