About 240p mode on Wii

I have more flexibility adjusting the aspect for GBA - but not with Game Boy and Game Gear. Increasing the vertical resolution also reduces the width - and since the main problem was how wide the picture was before, I have increased up to the max vertical resolution (x240).

While not perfect (I would prefer a bit narrow picture for GameBoy - but I couldn’t go beyond x240), the aspect ratio is not much different from the real thing.

600x194 with a -0.68 overscan seems to be a good enough approximation for Wonderswan in case people feel like trying.

Yes. It works fine.

Thanks for sharing.

Btw, I trying to access the link on your signature (FBA compatibility list), but it’s broken.

Hey there!

I love this subject! I don’t know if it will be useful, but NEOGEO has two different resolutions! It’s easy to confirm that even by checking PNG screenshots on Maws!

They are ~ 304x224 and 320x224, which gives us: GX_RESOLUTIONS_608_224, // NeoGeo GX_RESOLUTIONS_640_224, // NeoGeo

C.

Is there anyway that we could get RetroArch to automatically switch to the resolution instead of having to switch every time?

No.

Resolution changing on the Wii is a hack and doing it automatically is a bad idea.

Well, I more meant if you had a certain option on, similar to the other emulators on the Wii that have a “Classic” mode.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for the bump. I just wanted to express a desire for 480p versions of all resolutions where possible. A lot of HDTVs deal poorly with lower resolutions like 240p, 224p, etc. I was in the IRC a couple of days ago asking about 512480p for NES, but I was just starting up some CPS-2 games and noticed there’s no 384448p for the platform (or 384*224p either for those guys) either.

I know this sucks and everyone is always asking for more custom resolutions, but I’ve gone through all the cores tracking down the major resolutions I’d consider “missing” as of 0.9.9 (fix1).

384*448p (CPS) 480*432p (Game Gear) 512*384p (Master System, sort of Game Gear) 512*480p (NES) 608*448p (some Neo Geo)

Generally I don’t think handhelds are appropriate for custom resolutions because they tend to use square pixels and aren’t intended for 4:3 display. I think for those, the ideal is just to run them in 640*480 with a custom ratio. Game Gear is an exception because of its wider pixels.

Arcade games are a huge mess, obviously. With those I’m basically content to do what I do with handhelds, since there’s just way too many resolutions to specifically cover.

PC-Engine is another bastard case, I know there’s games that run at nonsense dimensions like 256232 (e.g. Dragon’s Curse), but frankly I feel like these “close enough” resolutions should just be handled with custom ratios: in this case, 512480p would be fine with a custom ratio dropping the vertical resolution to 464.

I think just the above (and the vertically halved equivalents for those 240p people) should cover the major platforms and standards, leaving behind weird crap that users can handle on a case-by-case basis.

EDIT: On further thought, it might also be nice to see 576p50 support in RetroArch. While no commercial software uses it, both Wii and GameCube are perfectly capable of displaying it. In the rare case that a 50Hz game is being played (e.g. Virtual Boy or the occasional PAL exclusive) it would be great to have a progressive resolution to run them in. Thanks for any consideration.

If you need code to look at, Extrems has been proactive about adding 576p to his projects, like OpenTTD and Not64.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to implement Custom Aspect Ratios for resolutions that dip below 480i, such as 240p modes.

The specific reason I ask for this is that in older versions of the emulator it was possible to obtain a very accurate “double-strike” picture for handheld systems such as the Game Boy and Game Boy Advance, through the use of the ‘overscan’ trick (just like tisurame pointed out in his posts within this thread).

On newer versions of Retroarch Wii this is completely impossible: one can indeed achieve accurate resolutions (such as 320x144 for the Game Boy), but the proportions of the screen end up being completely messed up and trying to customize the aspect ratio doesn’t produce any visible effect.

Is such a change technically feasible? It would make this software even more unique and interesting. Thanks in advance.