Adding a new menu with custom entries

Hi all,

I want to adding some entries into a new menu (with submenu entry like the one who is displayed to start a game), to launch some custom bash script. Does anyone knows how to do this ?

Thanks by advance :wink:

Unfortunately, thatā€™s a very tall order. You would actually probably be better off making a core that launches the script, similar to this one:

1 Like

Hi @hunterk,

Thanks for your reply. I see quickly the code of this core, specially the libretro-dolphin-launcher.c but it seemā€™s to search for an entry into the game database, for one or more extension (defined into dolphin_launcher_libretro.info) and use it to launch the rom file. Maybe it can be altered to make another behavior but I need some documentation to do this :slight_smile:

Could you tell me where I can found some documentation to dev it ? Or some source / documentation to modify the main lakka menu / submenu system ? All of this may be helpful :smile:

I figured you would want to use a playlist to list your scripts in the GUI, then pass them to the launcher core.

I actually have a modded core based on the one by RobLoach that does just this.

Just make a playlist containing the paths to the scripts and you can launch them from the menu.

Iā€™m using it in Ubuntu, but I think it would work in any linux version. Iā€™m planning to upload to github when I have corrected the install instructions.

1 Like

I also have forwarders that launch the standalone versions of Redream, Citra and Cemu (Cemu via Wine)ā€¦

Saying that you figured it out somehow doesnā€™t answer the question in any way. Can anyone put their solution on github or somewhere?

Define what exactly you are trying to do. Custom list of roms, like a ā€œSuper Mario collection-playlistā€, or are you trying to launch something outside of Retroarch?

Hi all,

Yes, I try to launch custom script, not related to a playlist or a game. Basically, I try to launch a bash script and if possible display some information (like progression by example) like itā€™s done when folders are scanned to search roms :slight_smile:

Check my Github for the source of a bash-launcher core. https://github.com/SwedishGojira/libretro-bash-launcher/blob/master/README.md Just download it and run ā€œmakeā€ in the source folder to build the core.

This core will run bash-scripts from Retroarch, but will not keep Retroarch running in background so if you simply run a script it will restart Retroarch as the script finishes running. I mostly use it to launch Linux games from a manually created playlist.

2 Likes