Analog Support for Sega Genesis? (Yes, really.)

I just learned that a handful of Sega Genesis, Sega CD, and Sega 32X games had analog support. One of the craziest things I’ve ever heard. I looked into it and found this page here: https://segaretro.org/XE-1_AP

I’d give that a read to learn a lot more about it. Anyway, after reading it I couldn’t help but wonder if there’s anyway that Analog support could be introduced into the GensPlusGX core or something. Maybe it’s not possible at all, but if not… hell it was still cool enough to share haha.

2 Likes

Looks like it’s been in the codebase since like 2015: https://wiibrew.org/wiki/Genesis_Plus

but it needs to be hooked up to the libretro interface, I guess.

1 Like

Ah! That’s amazing it’s already in there. Is that something I could/should open a github issue on?

sure. that’d be good.

2 Likes

Well I went to open an issue, but I found this and now I’m confused. This user makes it sound like the support already is hooked up in libretro. Maybe it was removed?

@Vague_Rant <<Oh look I can tag him here hahaha. I didn’t think that would work.

When I said “it’s probably just not hooked up,” I figured you had already looked for it and just didn’t find it, but you can already pick it from the device types in ‘controls’:

2 Likes

… … … Ok yeah, yep, I am an idiot for not looking there. I was looking in Core Options for some kind of analog/digital toggle… I didn’t even think to check “Controls” for device options.

I’m gonna put on my dunce cap now and think about what I’ve done…

On the flip side: I’m trying to use that device type, and while the analog stick now works (kind of amazing) I’m not getting a response from most the buttons. I noticed in that github piece that it should use the shoulder buttons for input - but in control options only L & R are mapped to controls. (Z&C respectively). So in Galaxy Force 2 I can shoot missiles but that’s it, for example.

I’m sure it’s something else equally ridiculously stupid that I’m not seeing.

This post had been around two years four years back, sadly RA hadn’t improve the keybinding for controller and keyboard. each time I want to switch from PS2 to SEGA it will be a tedious task to re-bind the keyboard and control.