Arcade Overlays

A Preview of my Arcade Overlays. Part 1.

Can only upload 12 images per post, so will post more in follow-up posts. Upload will follow pics.

Edit: Tried spaces between pics, and 2 pics per line, but forum formatting seems to ignore this.

Apologies for all the pics, not sure how to format them at this time. It’s 12am here and I’m just about to hit the sack, so I have sort of rushed these posts. Will update tomorrow with links to overlays.

LINKS

Filesize = 192Mb.

LINK 1: - http://www.filefactory.com/file/5xml...f/Retroarch.7z LINK 2: - http://1drv.ms/20Saeo8

Part 2: - http://1drv.ms/215bLUq Part 3: - http://1drv.ms/1oNgn3h

Video:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8BZtGFmMO8

Let me know if any links die, or don’t work. LINK 2 is from my own MS Onedrive, so shouldn’t expire.

I have included configs for MAME, and shaders for each machine. These are just there for those that are new to Retroarch (mostly on my Youtube channel), and are not required, although some vertical machines do require “Integer Scale” = OFF, and “Aspect Ratio” = OFF, to fit the overlay.

Couple of notes:

• I have tried to standardize each overlay, but this was not possible due to differing bezel artwork sizes. But I have kept the aspect ratios as correct as I can.
  • All glass screen bezel artwork, with a few exceptions made by me (Bombjack, etc…) are from Mr. Do!'s Arcade website on Mameworld, all credit goes to him for these.
  • Each machine overlay comprises of around 15 layered images, including glass effects, dust, dirt, room lighting reflection, arcade backdrops, cardboard monitor bezels, wells gardner monitor image, etc…
  • Each machine is presented as if you are stood directly in-front of the machine looking directly at the screen. Only the screen itself is not tilted away from you like a real machine as this would be a bit impractical on a flat PC monitor.
  • ALL shaders provided do require tweaking per machine, but I just haven’t had the time. I personally like a glow effect, scanlines, curved screen, slight desaturation - PC emulation looks to saturated IMO. These are not required, feel free to use own preferred shaders.
  • Each overlay is made to be used with roughly 70-80% opacity. Again, adjust to suit personal tastes. 100% will give maximum reflection effect, but also more faded washed-out look.
  • ALL overlays are 1080p only. They may scale, but don’t have the monitor to test, only a 1080p monitor.
  • There are over 70 machines to try, including 2 generic vertical and horizontal, more to come later.
1 Like

Part 2.

Part 3.

Part 4.

Part 5.

Part 6.

Part 7.

1 Like

man, those look great. :open_mouth:

That’s alot of work, well deserved props right there :slight_smile:

Amazing work. Any hint of a release for download?

Uploading as I type this. Filesize = 192Mb.

LINK 1: - http://www.filefactory.com/file/5xmlemxeldxf/Retroarch.7z LINK 2: - http://1drv.ms/20Saeo8

Let me know if any links die, or don’t work. LINK 2 is from my own MS Onedrive, so shouldn’t expire.

I have included configs for MAME, and shaders for each machine. These are just there for those that are new to Retroarch (mostly on my Youtube channel), and are not required, although some vertical machines do require “Integer Scale” = OFF, and “Aspect Ratio” = OFF, to fit the overlay.

Couple of notes:

• I have tried to standardize each overlay, but this was not possible due to differing bezel artwork sizes. But I have kept the aspect ratios as correct as I can.
  • All glass screen bezel artwork, with a few exceptions made by me (Bombjack, etc…) are from Mr. Do!'s Arcade website on Mameworld, all credit goes to him for these.
  • Each machine overlay comprises of around 15 layered images, including glass effects, dust, dirt, room lighting reflection, arcade backdrops, cardboard monitor bezels, wells gardner monitor image, etc…
  • Each machine is presented as if you are stood directly in-front of the machine looking directly at the screen. Only the screen itself is not tilted away from you like a real machine as this would be a bit impractical on a flat PC monitor.
  • ALL shaders provided do require tweaking per machine, but I just haven’t had the time. I personally like a glow effect, scanlines, curved screen, slight desaturation - PC emulation looks to saturated IMO. These are not required, feel free to use own preferred shaders.
  • Each overlay is made to be used with roughly 70-80% opacity. Again, adjust to suit personal tastes. 100% will give maximum reflection effect, but also more faded washed-out look.
  • ALL overlays are 1080p only. They may scale, but don’t have the monitor to test, only a 1080p monitor.
  • There are over 70 machines to try, including 2 generic vertical and horizontal, more to come later.
1 Like

A few more pics from machines N - P

1 Like

Thank you. Downloading from OneDrive is much faster than File Factory.

Oh goodness me… They are perfect! They couldn’t be any better.

Not to derail but how did you configure the overlays to load automatically without any user config required? I ask because I have to manually apply handheld overlays every time I load a handheld rom. Configuration per core tends to get messy.

Do you have a template you’d be willing to share?

[QUOTE=BluAura;34360]Thank you. Downloading from OneDrive is much faster than File Factory.

Oh goodness me… They are perfect! They couldn’t be any better.

Not to derail but how did you configure the overlays to load automatically without any user config required? I ask because I have to manually apply handheld overlays every time I load a handheld rom. Configuration per core tends to get messy.[/QUOTE]

The configs for MAME (RetroArch_Nightly\config\mame) are named after the games/roms you are running, PER-GAME SETTINGS. Inside the configs you can specify a overlay PER-GAME, as well as custom shaders, controls, etc… Remember, This isn’t PER-CORE, it’s PER-GAME. I would assume that anything outside of MAME would get messy unless softlist roms are used, then all systems could use per-game settings and overlays - because the softlist naming is unique for each system. Then, you could specify whatever overlay you prefer, for whatever game/handheld game, in whatever core you run. And without the manual work.

I don’t have a unique template, I’m afraid. I only have templates for each system, in Photoshop PSD format. Most are close, most share the same assets, but the varying artwork sizes make it difficult to have one or two unique templates. If you want a specific arcade machine(s) then feel free to post them here and I’ll see if I have the artwork to make them.

[QUOTE=John.Merrit;34437]The configs for MAME (RetroArch_Nightly\config\mame) are named after the games/roms you are running, PER-GAME SETTINGS. Inside the configs you can specify a overlay PER-GAME, as well as custom shaders, controls, etc… Remember, This isn’t PER-CORE, it’s PER-GAME. I would assume that anything outside of MAME would get messy unless softlist roms are used, then all systems could use per-game settings and overlays - because the softlist naming is unique for each system. Then, you could specify whatever overlay you prefer, for whatever game/handheld game, in whatever core you run. And without the manual work.

I don’t have a unique template, I’m afraid. I only have templates for each system, in Photoshop PSD format. Most are close, most share the same assets, but the varying artwork sizes make it difficult to have one or two unique templates. If you want a specific arcade machine(s) then feel free to post them here and I’ll see if I have the artwork to make them.[/QUOTE]

Lovely. Thanks for the info.

Yes I have some requests if possible :slight_smile:

Aliens Alien vs Predator Dodonpachi Darkstalkers The Night Warriors Final Fight Street Fighter II Championship Edition Sunset Riders Strider Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time WWF Wrestlefest

I know artwork can be found here

I’ve made a video to showcase a selection of the overlays here.

//youtu.be/Sfr1Ab8OchQ

Those look great, nice job man! Hope you make some for retroarch android tablets too.

Here are Strider, SF2 CE, and Final Fight.

http://1drv.ms/215bLUq

The following were just black bezels, no artwork. Aliens Alien vs Predator Dodonpachi Darkstalkers The Night Warriors Sunset Riders Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time

BluAura, I noticed in your videos that the screen is flat, not curved. Is this just personal preference ? Or are the shaders not working properly ?

Some pics. I stuck to the same template for all 3 simply because the artwork and aspects were mostly the same.

>>>Those look great, nice job man! Hope you make some for retroarch android tablets too. Thanks. They should work fine on tablets with a 1080 or less resolution. Either that, or scale them to the tablets naitive res.

Final Fight

And the real thing

Thanks! These are superb.

No it’s definitely not a preference. I did not realise this until now. I just checked 1943 and noticed the overlay opacity is set 0.85, is this right?

Another thing I noticed when running roms with these overlays/shaders my XMB Menu button defaults to LB on my Xbox controller. The rest of the time it’s always Xbox X Home button. This causes problems when playing games like Street Fighter that require LB to hard punch.

Thanks! These are superb.

EDIT: OKay I fixed the overlay/shader problem… My file pathing was set up wrong :slight_smile:

The LB bringing up the XMB menu is my only minor issue.