Arcadeguns with Mame core

I’m having a heck of a time to get things right with my two new ArcadeGuns and mame with Area51. After a whole day of just tinkering and troubleshooting I found that if I set the input to Raw I can get one of the guns to track with the cursor/crosshair on screen.

BUT, the cursor in the game (Area51 or any other mame game)is jumpy and erratic compared to the movement of the mouse on the desktop or in the retroarch UI. It seems like the movements of the cursor is super sensitive during gameplay.

I was able to configure the guns on Mame64 and it works great and the tracking is smooth. I noticed the resolution of the games in Mame64 vs the mame core in libretro looks different. Pressing the tab to get the mame menu on each look totally different. Could it be that the mame core operates at a lower resolution causing the mouse sensitivity? Am I on the right track? Any suggestions?

Could be. You could try using the “alternate renderer” core option, which renders the core to a higher res and see if that helps.

I tried the “alternate renderer” but no dice. Same issue. I tried changing the game resolution to match my desktop resolution (4k monitor) but still the same.

Even with the alternate render and/or changing the resolution of the game I notice the MAME menu (pressing tab) that the core resolution is still low.

Compared to the mame64 the menu are clean and crisp-looking so to speak. Them menu and the crosshair on the mame core look fuzzy and blocky by comparison.

those multi-mouse supported input drivers has never been the same. it does not track where your actual pointer is on-screen anymore like it used to (it should at least track the first pointer/mouse device)

if you have a gamepad or a device connected which has an “analog” controls/trigger, try removing it see if it helps or makes a difference.

Thanks for chiming in. I tried your suggestion, but its still the same.

I think multi-mouse support still needs to be worked out with mame as well with other cores. I think the mame core rendering may be the issue as the crosshair is trackable but not steady/smooth (due to resolution issue?). As of now even if that was working the current set up is not practical as I’d have to configure settings between games using gamepads and lightguns.

As of now I have my mame light gun games running on the standalone mame and it works great. My family is currently enjoying them. TIP: if you have kids and some light guns check out Egg Venture. It’s great for the family.