ASUS Tinker Board Support

Hi all, I wonder if is anyone part of the Lakka project is working on the ASUS Tinker Board support. I spent some time trying to install Retropie on it, but I failed. It’s not just a matter of fixing a couple of scripts, there are libs that need recompilation on the ASUS board, so I was wondering if anyone is already putting some efforts in it.

1 Like

We don’t have any ASUS Tinker Boards and we don’t get magically any either :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Demetris,

would you be able to work on a port for the tinker board if you’d get a board as a donation? I’m considering getting two of them, giving you one to develop on, if it might bring Lakka in 2160p60 to my TV :wink:

I remember a GitHub issue (this one) where it was mention that the rockchip in the tinker board might be an issue, so that’s why I’m asking. (and I’d really like one of those working with Lakka)

CC @Kivutar (since you were in the mentioned GitHub issue)

If i deliver Lakka for that soc wont make it into official lakka repo has to be an unofficial community build until kivutar gives the green light. Dont know in future this will change as some work is done for RK3399 but i can make no promises i can deliver every version of lakka out there.

Hi Demetris. Any update on if/when a lakka repo for the tinker board might be coming? Have a good day

Wait for the next gen of RK (RK3399) if they lower the prices enough i might get one to port lakka on it or if anyone is willing to donate i would gladly start working on it asap. Till then patience.

I’m interested in donating money for the Tinker Board. Has anyone else put any money for it?

We are getting 2 free MiQi samples from MQmaker for lakka developing soon

Kudos to MQmaker Team for supporting open source projects like Lakka. No Tinker Board on the horizon though, if anyone is still interested to donate please come forward. @ls42 :wink:

Hi @Demetris,

I’m tempted. Would it result in an official port? In that case I’m willing to send over a tinkerboard (and get one myself so I might be able to help testing the resulting build). CC @Kivutar

Yeap, official port it is

Hey, that’s great! Let me now where to send them (PM? Does discourse support that? I’ve no idea :slight_smile: ), I’ll order two today and send one over as soon as I have them.

Hi @Demetris,

Nice to meet you. We can support the FREE SAMPLE for you and the community Libretro core team.

Would you mind to send us your shipping info?

Thanks. We’re looking forward to your kind reply.

Best Regards, ASUS Tinker Board Team [email protected]

2 Likes

Replied and thanks in advance for your support.

1 Like

I thought I would get a little headstart on this…I took some of what user Myy on GitHub/Tinker Board forums (https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/user-298.html) has contributed towards applying kernel patches to include the Mali kernel drivers, and am using his custom built kernel (which as he states is mostly mainline, just with the RK3288 board-specific changes along with these Mali kernel drivers).

Right now, I have compiled RetroArch as stated here in my other forum post: https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-522-post-2519.html#pid2519. Check the last few posts and I have posted some of the errors I am encountering. There is a segfault when I try to run RetroArch with video_driver = “gl”. The Mali drivers on this board supposedly have OpenGL ES 3.0 support.

I’m so completely lost. I’m learning as I go, but I’m not sure where the problem lies at this point. Am I using the wrong binary blob for the userspace Mali drivers perhaps? The traceback from GDB that I posted seems to indicate that there is a call to eglGetDisplay that happens…but there is a failure somewhere along the callstack. I’m a firmware engineer so I can debug this to a point, but there are a lot of moving pieces here that I know one of you out there knows an answer to. Any pointers or further steps I could try??

If I call glxinfo, the one mention of OpenGL ES is: “OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6”

Thanks for any support you all.

I’ve received my sample today :smiley:

1 Like

Cool. I’m looking forward to the build when it’s ready. I’ve already got my Tinker Board. :slight_smile: :+1:

Good news @ls42 @TinkerBoard and anyone who contribute for this. Here is the latest Lakka image fully working for Tinkerboard so let the testing begin. Note that we indent to use vulkan on RK3288 but even if reported by retroarch as supported is not yet. We will update this when we have more good news :slight_smile: Download link(will expire in 15 days) https://transfer.sh/57mAh/Lakka-Rockchip.TinkerBoard.arm-8.1.2.img.gz Best regards and Enjoy!

1 Like

So far so good. It seems to be working pretty well. Here’s what I’ve tested so far.

Atari 2600 - good

Atari 5200 - good

Atari 7800 - good

Atari Jaguar - Not enough juice. Very laggy.

Atari Lynx - good

GB - Good but… All scanned roms show up under GB Color core.

GB Color - Good

GBA - Good

Game Gear - Good

N64 - A little choppy but some games playable.

NDS - Game play seems up to speed but sound is bad

NES - Good but… Headerless roms do not seems to load.

SNES - Good

Virtual Boy - Good

Sega Genesis - Good

Sege Genesis 32X - Good

Sega Master System - Good

Neo Geo Pocket Color - Good

TurboGrafX 16Bit - Good.

So aside from that I did see another issue but i’m not certain if it’s a real issue or just exclusive to me. I have 2 SSID’s broadcasting in my house. 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The 2.4Ghz is formatted like this “SSID Name” and the 5Ghz is formatted like this “SSID Name-5G”. For some reason they both show up in the GUI as “SSID Name” and you can’t tell the difference. So maybe the “-” needs to be escaped? Not sure.

I’ll keep trying things out to see what other things I can find but so far it’s very nice.

GB also not only appears to be showing up under the GB Color core section, They are also showing up with the GoodSets naming convention instead of the No-Intro naming convention.

With regard to the headless NES roms. That’s not exclusive to this build. Sorry. That’s just in general. I don’t think any builds do Headerless roms.