Awful Windowed Performance on Windows 10 (Fullscreen is fine)

Can anyone please help me diagnose this?

Running retroarch in a window causes it to run at half speed for some reason. I’m using Beetle-HW for PSX with the only setting changed being the rendering to software. Runs fullspeed no problems when I switch it over to Fullscreen.

As you can see, it’s hardly using the CPU or GPU resources so I’m not sure what’s causing the bottleneck here.

This is a clean install of retroarch with zero changes to any of the config files

I’m using Windows 10 using bootcamp on a 2018 Macbook 15 in with a dedicated GPU(Radeon Pro 555X) and 6 Core 2.2ghz CPU.

That’s probably a result of vsync being screwy. When you run a program in a window, Windows tries to do its own vsync on top of any other vsyncing (including both RetroArch’s and/or your GPU driver’s). So, somewhere in that chain, something is falling behind and it falls back to half speed in response.

Thanks, I’ll give this some research. Is there a simple way to disable windows vsync, or should I stick to the controls in retroarch?

In Win7 and Win8, you could disable Aero, but I believe they removed that option in Win10. Dunno if there’s any current solution for that.

Either way, it looks like you lead me to the solution - I completely disable vertical refresh on my graphics card settings and now it seems like windows mode runs perfectly. Thank you so much!

1 Like