Beetle dc question

Today, i discovered this core in the buildbot. Is this the same core as Reicast but with a different name? I’m a bit confused, at first i thought Mednafen made a DC core.

2 Likes

Yes, skmp asked us to change the name, so we did. It may get another name change to something less confusing in the near future. If not, ‘beetle’ will just mean “cores that upstream asked us to rename” instead of “based on mednafen”

Are there any differences between “reicast_libretro” and “beetledc_libretro” ?

Nothing but the name.

As of this post, the info file is a little weird.

The Core updater (for Windows x64) is showing:

• beetle-dc_libretro.dll.zip
  • beetle-dc_wince_libretro.dll.zip
  • Sega - Dreamcast/NAOMI (BeetleDC WinCE) - [beetledc_wince_libretro.dll]
  • Sega - Dreamcast/NAOMI (BeetleDC) - [beetledc_libretro.dll]
  • Sega - Dreamcast/NAOMI (Reicast) - [reicast_libretro.dll]

While the old Redream GPL disappeared from the Core Info file. (probably replaced by mistake by the renamed BeetleDC)

I was thinking the same thing when I saw them there last night.

Don’t know the Difference between the 2 as both came with same name as each so not sure which one to click on as 2 of same name come up in Retroarch

I asked about the difference about the beetleDC cores, and Autechre on Discord said he would remove these two. Seems to be an accidentally doubled mistake. So go with the

• Sega - Dreamcast/NAOMI (BeetleDC WinCE) - [beetledc_wince_libretro.dll]
  • Sega - Dreamcast/NAOMI (BeetleDC) - [beetledc_libretro.dll]

cores

2 Likes

Silly question.

DO I keep reicast ones, or switch to these,. I try to keep my cores down to all I need not ever system.

Thanks Frank

Go ahead and switch. The reicast-libretro cores will not update.

1 Like

Thanks. Much appreciated :slight_smile:

Hi @hunterk,

Do you plan on doing a blog post about this change? Otherwise, lot of people will not get notified about this change.

And, by the other side, regarding the wince fork, are there any plans to merge it into the base one (as it happened at the begining of the OIT core, it was initially released as a different core and later it was merged). Are there any known handycaps on using the wince core for non-wince games? performance impact, possible bugs, etc…?

Greetings.

Yes, there will probably be a blog post soon-ish. We might go with a different name, as we just used beetle because time was a factor on the rename, so we want to wait until that’s settled before making any announcements.

Yes, I believe the plan is to merge the two cores at some point.

I don’t know if or how much they differ in performance on non-WinCE games.

1 Like

The WinCE core needs a lot more horse power - even on non-WinCE games. I have two emulation PCs and the older one (i7 2600k, 16GB Ram, Nvidia GTX950) struggles in some games if the WinCE core is used.

1 Like

I have found on my Computer that some Games work fine with WinCE but others run very Sluggish but those Games work on the normal BeetleDC Fine.

Not sure what that Means

@DaveTheMan1985 @JesseBlue Can you name those games that run slowly on the wince core?

I did some recent changes to the wince core (like 2 days ago) and it should be able to run non-WinCE games as fast as the normal core. The plan is to merge the wince core with the non-WinCE one but I want to make sure there’s no performance hit when doing so.

1 Like

Didn’t have much time to test but I’ve tried three games, that have problems with the CE Core:

Newest core versions, default settings (except resolution), RA 1.7.7 stable, x86_64

Crazy Taxi (USA): The title screen voice is garbled. Frame rate stuttering during gameplay seems to be much improved (almost gone?) now!

Crazy Taxi 2 (USA): Display is stuck at the Sega logo. The game is still running in the background though.

Daytona USA (USA): Display is stuck at the Sega logo. The game is still running in the background though.

All of them run fine on the Non-CE Core.

2 Likes

Crazy Taxi 1 + 2 are the 2 I tested. That where Slow on WINCE Core.

The Games Run Fine for me but Music and Video run Slow

Just Tried Sega Marine Fishing with BettleDC_wince and lycast WINCE Core and it runs a little bit slow

I am also using the RA 1.7.7 64 Bit Release

Just Tried:

Power Stone - It Crashes at the Sega Screen

Virtual Striker 2 That just runs slow on both Music and Video

All Games have worked fine on normal None-CE Core’s

1 Like

Newest Flycast (I love the new name BTW!) versions:

Jet Grind Radio (USA): Seems to be OK.

Sonic Adventure 1 (USA): Seems to be OK.

Soul Calibur (USA): Running at 50% framerate (Non-CE Core almost at 100%).

Gunlord (Region Free): This one is odd: It runs fine on the WinCE version. On the Non-CE Version it is stuck after the Sega logo (still running in the background though). Basically the same situation as Crazy Taxi 2, Daytona or Power Stone… but reversed!

The House of the Dead 2 (USA): Seems to be OK.

1 Like

I also have Tried Gunlord. There is no Picture on the Non-CE Core Version but there is on the CD Version but I do find that the video can run too fast when playing at times

Here are some More Testing I have done Today:

AeroWings - Bit Slow when 1st Loaded but gone to Normal Speed once get to Menu and Gameplay is Fine. Using Flycast WCE

AeroWings 2 - Same as AeroWings

Armanda - Loads Slow but Gameplay seems to be fine. FlyDreamWCE Core

Bangi-O - Using FLyCastWCE the Gameplay and Sounds seems a Little Slow. Works Fine with FlyCast Core

Blue Stinger - Freezes on Sega Logo Screen with FlycastWCE Core. Works Fine on Flycast Core

Charge 'n Blast - Freezes on Sega Logo Screen with FlycastWCE Core. Works Fine on Flycast Core

Dynamic Cop - Freezes at Caution Screen. Works Fine with FlyCast Core

Cannon Spike - The Menus Sounds sounds Crackly but Gameplay seems fine with Flycast Core

Headhunter - Freezes on Sega Logo Screen with FlycastWCE Core. Works Fine on Flycast Core

Outtriger - Gameplay is Normal Speed but Sound is very Distorted

Sega Smashpack - Sound and Video/Gameplay is Slow on Flycast WCE

Sword of Beserk - Menu and Intro are Slow but Gameplay is Fine using Flycast WCE

Silent Scope - Freezes on Sega Logo Screen with FlycastWCE Core. Works Fine on Flycast Core

Plasma Sword - Using FLyCastWCE the Gameplay and Sounds seems a Little Slow.

Gundam - Side Story 0079 Rise from the Ashes - Using FLyCastWCE the Gameplay and Sounds seems a Little Slow. Works Fine with FlyCast Core

Bang! Gunship Elite - Intro keep Re-Starting on Flycast WCE. Game Crashed on Normal Flycast Core.

2 Likes