BFI/Strobing/Motionblur thread reorganized

oh, whoops. Put it in the scanlines/shaders directory. It has the subpixel masks in it, so it needs to be able to reach that path where it expects it.

1 Like

Right, so I got this to work. I had to also put the include folder in my Downloads folder.

The easiest mask layout for me to see at my normal viewing distance was Mask Layout 8.

The only phase setting that didnā€™t bob up and down was 0.00. 0.05 didnā€™t really bob much either but I could see some moire like artifacts on the sky in the 240p test suite scrolling test. 0.00 eliminated that.

No matter what Rolling Speed I set, the Mask blurred into white once scrolling started.

Is it possible to disable interlacing and have a rolling Window instead of just rolling scanlines, which is what it looks like when the Phase is set to 0.05?

1 Like

The mask shouldnā€™t really be affected, since itā€™s not actually moving. AFAIK, the mask/scanlines disappearing during scrolling is purely an optical illusion.

You would need to test something like fast side-scrolling.

Iā€™m not sure I understand what you mean by a rolling window.

At least on my monitor, 0.05 is way too slow to actually do what we want here, which is cleaning out the existing pixel to make room for the next one. If itā€™s just crawling along, thereā€™s no real benefit.

1 Like

Yes, I know that this is what was happening.

Oh, I just wanted to see if it was possible to recreate a rolling-scan BFI by using shaders to obscure part of the screen that we wanted to be black.

So basically create the same effect seen in the Sony and Dell OLED monitors that can do that via hardware.

I didnā€™t try such a low speed because I wanted to, it was just the only speed that didnā€™t bob or produce moire artifacts.

Thanks for trying to help!

2 Likes

This really needs to be done at the display level and not the shader level. The reason being is that you need high refresh rates as many of you have said but you donā€™t want to try sending all that data down the hdmi/DP cable.

It just needs a very simple algorithm in the monitor to repro it but it needs quite an expensive CPU to reach the speeds needed to create the back light strobe.

Basically this has been done partially on a few monitors by the BlurBusters namely @mdrejhon above. Heā€™s certainly created a tool for a few monitors to tweak back light strobing.

What I think we might want to try is simulating what multiple scanning beam heads would look like (using a displays backlight strobing) and reduce high refresh rate required that way i.e two virtual scanning beam heads would halve the refresh rate required, four would drop it by a quarter and so on.

Not sure if that all works as I have imagined it thoughā€¦

3 Likes

bumping this since thereā€™s been a lot of BFI-related stuff lately.

Is there any way to make BFI retention-proof at 160Hz?

1 Like