Can someone explain this framerate issue I have

I have discovered that if I run Retroarch fullscreen resolution at 720x480 wich is close to PS1 original resolution, the games actualy feels like 60fps sometimes (Field screens in Final Fantasy for example) but if I go anywhere over that resolution it feels sub 30 fps. Why is this happening? Is it not possible to get the same feel at resolutions above 720x480?

1 Like

I don’t know of anything that would cause such behavior. The PS1 cores have an option to show the internal framerate and you can display RetroArch’s framerate, as well. I would suggest turning those options on and see if anything is really happening or if it’s an optical illusion.

It shows internal fps at 29.97 at all resolutions. I have discovered that running it in 720x480 makes it feel like 60 fps wierdly. And compared when running in higher res, it feels like … uh… 25 - 30 maybe. Its also allways running in 60hz. Just so you know its not my pc, I discovered this with my old pc as well but didnt mind it then. Now I have a gtx 1080ti with a i7 8700k so, yeah, its not anything hardware related.