Chrono Cross - How to change disc?

Hi again, everybody.

I have a simple question: How do I change disc in the game? It’s kind of a general question instead of an specific one to this particular game, but since I’m playing it atm, I’m focusing on this one.

Files I got atm in the same ‘Chrono Cross’ folder: ‘Chrono Cross (Disc 1).bin’, ‘Chrono Cross (Disc 1).cue’, ‘Chrono Cross (Disc 2).bin’, ‘Chrono Cross (Disc 2).cue’

I’ve read something about m3u and/or pbp files in some forums, but I only have those 4 files in the folder. So, is it necessary to create any of those files (m3u, pbp) or I can make a simple disc change without them? If I have to create them somehow, how can I do it? And, will this affect/screw my in-game progress (saves) so far?

Specs:

Linux Kubuntu 16.04 x64 | Intel® Core™ i3-3210 CPU @ 3.20GHz | GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost | 8 GB Ram | RetroArch: Frontend for libretro – v1.7.1 – 6fc6bfb | Beetle PSX HW 0.9.44.1 8fb566d | Chrono Cross (USA) - SLUS-01041

Thank you very much.

1 Like

The easiest method is to use an m3u playlist, which is just a bog-standard text file with your cue files listed in order, one per line. For example,

Chrono Cross (Disc 1).cue
Chrono Cross (Disc 2).cue

Then, you load it instead of the individual cue files and it will handle the save files for you (no need to rename them to match the second disc, etc.) and then you can do all of the switching through the disk options menu in the quick menu. (open tray, return to the game for a few seconds to let it take effect, come back to the menu, close tray, go back to game)

1 Like

a image should help: Portapapeles-1

And load the Chrono Cross.m3u file.

I my case, the memory card is called Chrono Cross.0.mcr . Maybe you need rename your savefile.

1 Like

Thank you both for the help. It was very clear.

For further info, I’m summing up the whole process:

1. Like I said before, I only had the 4 files in the ‘Chrono Cross’ folder (2 .bin and 2 .cue).
  2. So, I created a plain text with ‘Chrono Cross (Disc 1).cue’ in one line and ‘Chrono Cross (Disc 2).cue’ in the next line (as showed in the previous replies), and renamed it as ‘Chrono Cross.m3u’.
  3. I loaded the new ‘Chrono Cross.m3u’ file in RetroArch instead of any of the previous .cue files.
  4. (Caution from here: Making a backup of your save folders is recommended!) Since it didn’t recognize my previous progress/saves, and since I wasn’t sure of the new name of the current game/m3u, I decided to make a save via RetroArch (ie, a new savestate (it doesn’t matter the slot/number, but in my case, I chose ‘1’)).
  5. I opened the ‘savestates’ file and searched for my new savestate (made in step 3). In my case, it was ‘Chrono Cross.state1’.
  6. In the same folder, I then searched for a state file from a previous .cue, which I had the previous last in-game progress. In my case, it was ‘Chrono Cross (Disc 1).state1’, so I just replaced its name with ‘Chrono Cross.state1’ (rewriting the created one).
  7. Loaded the savestate via RetroArch, and voila!! XD
  8. I saved, this time, via memory card (ie, in-game save), so it created ‘Chrono Cross.1.mcr’ file in ‘savefiles’ folder.
  9. I went to the place where the game asked me to change disc, so when the message showed, I opened the RetroArch menu > ‘Disc Control’ > hit ‘Disc Cycle Tray Status’ (ejecting the disc) > went back to in-game (ie, ‘Resume’) for a few seconds (like the 1st reply said) > then went back to menu > ‘Disc Control’ > ‘Disk Index’ (changed it from ‘1’ to ‘2’) > hit ‘Disc Cycle Tray Status’ > went back in-game. And voila, again!! XD

That’s it. I hope I could help anyone with the same question, in a step-by-step.

Greetings and thank you.

P.S. 9. I also added the new m3u to ‘Favorites’ for a faster access. Question: Is there a way I can add it to my games list (the created section with a joystick symbol after the ‘+’ symbol), and/or maybe add a picture like my other games in the list (for a better look XD)?