Compressing ROMs and ISOs

I’m looking for some advices on how to compress my ROMs and ISOs with still being able to launch. As I understand RetroArch doesn’t support RAR archives although I would really like that so I have to use 7zip for better compression than standard zip.

So my questions are: How can I create separate archive for every file I want to compress with 7zip? (with winrar it’s very easy) Can I add archives to RetroArch library (playlists)? Is there any way to launch PS1 ECM files (some emulators do) but along with APE or FLAC files as CD audio tracks?

If your ROMs are in individual zips, you can use this script to convert all of them to 7z:

This is for the 64bit version of 7zip. Save it as a text file as something like “zip to 7z.bat”, put it in your ROM folder and run it. I tried searching for a script that 7z’s all the uncompressed files in a folder to individual 7z files, but couldn’t find anything quickly.

The PS1 cores don’t support ECM, but do support PBP, which is compressed. You can use PSX2PSP to convert bin/cue rips to PBP.

Thank you for the replay!

So can I also compress audio tracks with PBP format. Last time I tried I didn’t get impression It can do that.

And BTW is there any way I can use rar archives for roms with RetroArch? I would much rather use that if it’s possible.

I think PBP is basically like zipping the whole ISO, so there’s no specific audio compression. There’s no RAR support.

1 Like

I made a compression test with 7zip and rar and castlevania - symphony of the night for PS1. -for rar I used rar5 format with best compression method and dictionary size of 128 MB -for 7zip I used 2 different compression levels normal and ultra (LZMA2 for both) Here are results: -uncompressed image without ecm and uncompressed audio track - 556 MB -compressed with rar - 355 MB - time for extraction between 7 and 8 seconds -compressed with 7zip, normal compression level - 351 MB - time for extraction 33 seconds -compressed with 7zip, ultra compression level - 341 MB - time for extraction also 33 seconds

See why I prefer rar? With rar I can also create separate archives for every rom and choose which file types to compress and which not (for example audio tracks in flac or ape) for even faster extraction without knowing command line commands. As James Rolfe would say: I could dump my ass in time it takes to extract 7zip!

That being said I think rar support should be added to RetroArch. It’s really important! It would be also great to add ecm support for PS1 cores (ePSXe can run it) and ability to play flac and ape files along with it would be also great. I don’t see why that can’t be done. I sometimes play music from my library of flac files while gaming. It’s no big deal.

Just to add ECM is not meant to be used on it’s own anyway so not supporting that is not a problem really.

As far as I know RAR is a proprietary format, and its non-free license is incompatible with RetroArch (GPL-3)

Ment or not ment to be used directly ECM image especially in archive takes less space than regular image or just compressed image and if I remember correctly oppening ECM in ePSXe doesn’t take more time than oppening regular image. So why not to make this possible? It’s very good way to save space with retively unnoticable loading time. Same as using FLAC or APE for audio tracks. Music players can play them practically immediately and files always take less space than uncompressed audio compressed with archive, even with hardest settings.

For audio track, you can convert your tracks to Ogg Vorbis, in Sega CD and PC Engine CD games you can save a lot of space. Sadly Ogg is broken in mednafen psx

Rar shouldn’t and probably won’t be added or supported by Retroarch or any other emulator for any other system, PBP is by far the best compression method, not the best compression in terms of space saving. You’ll also stress your HDD much more compressing all your games like this, thus reducing your HDD’s lifespan.

PBP doesn’t need decompression, the emulator reads it like an iso file. It also supports multi discs into a single file, so you can have your Final Fantasy VII, for instance in a single PBP file and switch discs inside Retroarch quick options menu.

Forget about rar or 7z or similar compressions if you’re willing to really play your games.

FCEUX supports rar. I used it for NES before I switched to RetroArch. I would be satisfied with that if PBP could compress audio tracks too in preferably lossless format. After all PBP is made for compressing PS1 games on PSP so it would be great choice. And what about non PS1 games?

PBP can play all kinds of games, single or multi track games, you just need to convert them the right way.

PS1>PBP PS2>CSO PSP>CSO GC>GCZ WII>WBFS DC>CHD NGCD>CHD

I leave all other systems in bin+cue or iso since I don’t like compressing them if I have to decompress them to play.

1 Like

Is there a way to compress audio tracks too with this? If there is I would be really happy with this method.

You don’t actually compress the audio tracks, you just join them into a single PBP file.

I know but I think it joins them without compressing and that distances me from this method.

For non PS1 games maybe we could use compressed iso files like isz and daa. I used them for compressing CD images of old PC games. They can also be read directly without decompressing by mounting to virtual CD drive.

“…You’ll also stress your HDD much more compressing all your games like this, thus reducing your HDD’s lifespan.” This comment got my attention. I have compressed pretty much my whole ~8tb hyperspin collection, except for the Wii, WiiU, NeogeoCD. Otherwise, everything I have would not fit in my 5tb and 4 tb HDD’s. I would got a stroke if my hyperspin HDD broked down lol.

You can at least make your NEO GEO CD games in CHD, compressing the whole set down to 25GB. Personally, I dont have a spare 5TB HDD to back up all my setup, but its something I need to have in the near future, otherwise I may lose everything, so its better to take extra care not to reduce its lifespan.

Ufff so I better cross my fingers and hope that it doesn’t fail sooner. The other 4tb HDD is were I have the heaviest things, the compressed PS2 roms (which is 2.5tb) and it is only used for that. Also I had space for the Wii roms, so why not and I moved them there.

I read someday that even a backup of a backup is almost good enough! haha.