Configure Retroarch in Ubuntu 16.04

Hi, I can help.

I need a tutorial on how to set Retroarch 1.3.4. I searched and can not get an updated tutorial.

• when pressed to load core, it does nothing

Thank you.

If you want a full installation with all cores, open a terminal and do this: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libretro/testing sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get install retroarch* libretro* The Ubuntu packages don’t use the online updater for everything because it conflicts with things installed through the package manager.

Hello hunterk. Yeah, so I installed it, it is fully installed. I need a setup tutorial. How do I load the core?

You should be able to go to ‘load core’ and find the one you want, then go to ‘load content’ and navigate to your ROM. If you have everything installed but no cores are showing up under ‘load core,’ go to settings > directories and make sure your core directory is set to /usr/lib/libretro.

Is this thread so bad to be considered a tutorial? --> Libretro PPA for Ubuntu

Edit: it’s the first thread btw… you don’t need even to search the forum…

Edit 2: Are there any course to teach people how to search stuff on forums?

Sorry, I’m a newbie. The core and the games load perfect. The directory of the core is: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libretro/

How do I look for by type?

Go to Settings tab --> Playlists, you can pick the core you want for each platform.

Or go Run in each game in the list, then choose the core you want.

Sergio… I installed the same. I need to know how to put the categories.

that does not divide into categories.

hunterk First I installed the repository Testing. Fails the keyboard. The Enter key does not work. If it is solved, I would use the Testing and report errors.

How do I look for by type?

I can’t understand what do you want exactly. Feel free to speak in your native language (spanish?)

Si Sergio, español, y se me complica hacerme entender en ingles…

Lo que intento es verlos por categorías o consolas como esta imagen, GBC, Arcade, N64, etc…

Ok… maybe I figured out what are you trying to ask. You want to have a playlist like that right?

Go Online Updater --> Update Database, then go to Scan Directory and scan your ROMs folder. Then you do what I told early, in Settings tab --> Playlists directory.

Please, search a little more the forum, it’s not like there’s no content at all about how to setup retroarch…

Getting Started with RetroArch

I’m seeing that guide (the wiki was falling). Yes, I have searched a lot and there is a lot of information an older version. I do not speak English and could not get the exact answer. I prefer to ask the official forum which on youtube. If it bothers you, I do not ask more. Recommendation: load core, load content, etc. It makes it more complicated and unnecessary, scan the directory and display categories is sufficient and easier. Like “Online Update” that information should be installed with the program. The “thumbnails” can be loaded when scanning the directory with each independent game (as kodi).

[I]Estoy viendo esa guía (la wiki estaba caida). Si, he buscado mucho y hay mucha información de una versión antigua. No hablo ingles y no conseguía la respuesta exacta. Prefiero preguntar en el foro oficial que en youtube. Si te molesta, no pregunto mas. Recomendación: Cargar nucleo, cargar contenido, etc. Lo hace mas complicado e innecesario, escanear el directorio y mostrar las categorías es suficiente y mas sencillo. Igual que “Online Update” esa información debería instalarse con el programa. Los “thumbnails” se puede cargar cuando escanee el directorio con cada juego independiente (como kodi).

[/I]

[QUOTE=alexb3d;42255]Like “Online Update” that information should be installed with the program. [/I][/QUOTE]

It would be necessary extras deb packages on PPA, like what I did with core info and assets. But… no way, it’s too much effort, sorry. And people would complain about old databases or controllers auto config files, like they complain about a core that has not been updated for a week!

Btw, I remember that database files must be at a writable place, which deb packages does not provides (it install stuff in the root). Same for shaders files.

Yes, it’s a lot of work. They are only ideas. It can be long term… Long ago was expecting something like Retroarch, it’s great, has great potential to become the ultimate gaming station. I can give some more concrete ideas. I do not know programming. But “Steam” saved games “/ home” and Kodi information without deb. It would be for general, Overlays, Databases, Shaders, etc. And they are updated automatically. The “thumbnails” can be downloaded from a website. (Kodi down the information on this site themoviedb.org) and it can be maintained by the community. Benefits. Download only what is needed, assign covers by region (U, E, J), videos, etc.

Are you the creator of Retroarch?

[I] Si, es mucho trabajo. Solo son ideas. Puede ser a largo plazo… Hace mucho estaba esperando algo como Retroarch, es genial, tiene mucho potencial para convertirse en la estación de juegos definitiva. Te puedo dar algunas ideas mas concretas. Yo no se de programación. Pero “Steam” guarda los juegos en “/home” y Kodi la información sin deb. Sería para lo general, Overlays, Databases, Shaders, etc. Y se actualizarían automáticamente. Los “thumbnails” se pueden descargar desde una web. (Kodi baja la información de este portal themoviedb.org) y puede ser mantenida por la comunidad. Beneficios. Solo se descarga lo que se necesita, asignar portadas por región (U, E, J), videos, etc.

¿Tu eres el creador de Retroarch?[/I]

No, lol

I just maintain the PPA.