Connectin XBOX One Controller (White) with Bluetooth

Hi. I have a generic BT 4.0 module (from eBay) that I try to use with my Lakka (x86_64, 2.1) machine

I can pair and trust the controller with bluetoothctl, but cannot connect to it.

This is what bluetoothctl says about the device:

[bluetooth]# info 5C:BA:37:3F:CA:E4
Device 5C:BA:37:3F:CA:E4
	Name: Xbox Wireless Controller
	Alias: Xbox Wireless Controller
	Class: 0x000508
	Icon: input-gaming
	Paired: yes
	Trusted: yes
	Blocked: no
	Connected: no
	LegacyPairing: no
	UUID: Human Interface Device... (00001124-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
	RSSI: -96

as said, it paired and trusted OK, no problems there.

When I try to connect to it, I get this:

[bluetooth]# connect 5C:BA:37:3F:CA:E4
Attempting to connect to 5C:BA:37:3F:CA:E4
[CHG] Device 5C:BA:37:3F:CA:E4 Connected: yes
[CHG] Device 5C:BA:37:3F:CA:E4 ServicesResolved: yes
Failed to connect: org.bluez.Error.Failed
[CHG] Device 5C:BA:37:3F:CA:E4 ServicesResolved: no
[CHG] Device 5C:BA:37:3F:CA:E4 Connected: no

listing controller says this:

[bluetooth]# list Controller 00:1A:7D:DA:71:13 BlueZ 5.43 [default]

2 Likes

More info:

If (after that) I do

systemctl status bluetooth

I get this:

Dec 30 12:21:46 Lakka bluetoothd[409]: Can't get HIDP connection info
Dec 30 12:21:53 Lakka bluetoothd[409]: connect error: Invalid exchange (52)
Dec 30 12:22:44 Lakka bluetoothd[409]: Can't get HIDP connection info
Dec 30 12:22:49 Lakka bluetoothd[409]: connect error: Host is down (112)
Dec 30 12:22:54 Lakka bluetoothd[409]: Can't get HIDP connection info
Dec 30 12:23:05 Lakka bluetoothd[409]: connect error: Host is down (112)
Dec 30 12:23:45 Lakka bluetoothd[409]: Can't get HIDP connection info
Dec 30 12:23:55 Lakka bluetoothd[409]: connect error: Invalid exchange (52)
Dec 30 12:23:57 Lakka bluetoothd[409]: Can't get HIDP connection info
Dec 30 12:24:01 Lakka bluetoothd[409]: connect error: Invalid exchange (52)

Bump. Iā€™m having the same kind of issues with my xbox one s controller (black). Iā€™ve tried all of the suggestions detailed here with some success.

1. From some other distro of linux create autostart.sh in /storage/.config then add this line:

bash -c ā€˜echo 1 > /sys/module/bluetooth/parameters/disable_ertmā€™

Note: For some reason this works only occasionally work for me. Multiple times Iā€™ve checked /sys/module/bluetooth/parameters/disable_ertm from Lakkaā€™s tty and it says N instead of Y so I have to change it manually.

1. Enable direct access to tty on lakka by adding tty to the bootloader as detailed here.

2. Then attempt to connect it using the same procedure for the PS4 DualShock listed here.

After multiple attempts to connect it will only sometimes work. Once connected it works great but after rebooting (or shutting down powering) on again the controller will only automatically connect about 1 out of 10 times.

Also Iā€™ve noticed a strange side effect that may or may not be connected but all of my gamecube roms boot extremely slow and the colors are wonked out and pixelated. Characteristically the Nintendo tm will flash from red to blue. No idea what thatā€™s about.

Sorry for running a bit long.

Anyways @AnttiV did you disable_ertm?

2 Likes

Yeah, I did. Unfortunately the ONLY thing that changes is I move from this:

[CHG] Device 5C:BA:37:3F:CA:E4 ServicesResolved: yes
[CHG] Device 5C:BA:37:3F:CA:E4 ServicesResolved: no

to this:

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I get too. And youā€™ve tried to connecting repeatedly? Also do you keep pressing the pair button at the top of the controller? Thatā€™s the only way that I can connect mine.

Same here. I try connecting repeatedly multiple times, but no change really. Iā€™ve never gotten it to work. And yeah I need to press the pair button when the led stops flickering rapidly - I canā€™t connect to it in non-pairing mode.

I wonder if the Genuine Microsoft USB stick that you use on non-bluetooth-enabled PC would work on Lakka? Thatā€™d take the pairing and connecting part out, I think.

Perhaps. I would rather put the ~$30 towards a PS4 DualShock controller instead than sinking more money into getting the xbox controllers up and running. Also itā€™s almost 2018 no one should have to use dongles (Disclaimer: I mean no disrespect to the Libreto, Lakka, or Retroarch devs the fact that all of it works as well as it does is a real feat of engineering).

Oh, yeah, I wouldnā€™t pay for it for this purpose alone. I bought my XBOX One controllers to use with my Desktop Win10 PC (which doesnā€™t have BT) so I already have that. Itā€™s just that I would prefer it to stay on that computer and that I wouldnā€™t need to swap that between the computers whenever I want to playā€¦

But, Iā€™ll test it at least.

Iā€™ll probably order two Dualshocks to use with Lakka though. As an added bonus theyā€™ll come in handy if I ever decide to purchase a PS4 :slight_smile: (Iā€™m not a huge current-gen console fan though, I much prefer the older generations that I can buy games for cheap. Like the original XBOX and PS2 - and of course everything older that Lakka handles).

Microsoft XBox One Wireless USB Dongle for Windows 10

Long story short: no, it doesnā€™t work with Lakka :frowning:

That sucks. Thanks for doing the research on that.

Yes unfortunately it is not yet supported on Linux in the xpad driver and also on the dongle driver.

But the controller itself should be, though? At least it is listed as a recommended controller in the Lakka documentation?

Wired should work, it is wireless which is not working.

1 Like

ooooh, ok. I didnā€™t know that. (You might want to add that to the recommendation, that it only works wired.)

I do have a couple of nice long sturdy USB cables I can try with. Wireless would of course be better, but I think in my case I can do wired just fine.

I tried to connect a DualShock 4 controller via bluetooth today and couldnā€™t get it to work either. I give up :frowning:

For the record, XBox One gamepads worked perfectly when connected via USB cables. It was a tad inconvenient with four players and only one had wireless (XBox360 pad), but we managed and had loads of fun.

@draperjames Dualshok 4 is supported wirelessly though. You do have genuine Dualshocks, and not some china knock-offs? (My china xbox360 pads, erā€¦ ā€œworkā€, but not to the extent Iā€™d like to use them :stuck_out_tongue: )

The DualShock 4 controller I was using was out of the box from Best Buy. It kinda worked while wired but I could not get it to pair with bluetooth. I also have a couple xbox 360 controllers and they work great with the genuine microsoft 360 dongle. And Iā€™ve successfully used those controllers with the xbox one controller wired for 3 player mario kart and star fox on the gamecube. I understand that this is a lot to ask for universal bluetooth support for all controllers on all the computers even the raspberry pi so Iā€™m gonna stop complaining :slight_smile:

I know this is an older topic but did anyone have luck pairing an xbox one controller with a generic bluetooth dongle? I know only the newer of the xbox one controllers are bluetooth. Iā€™m trying to pair my controller on an Odroid XU4 if that makes any difference. I can find posts related to the XU4 or to Lakka but not both. Kinda lost.

Edit: After trying a bunch of things I still end up at the same dead end involving ā€œFailed to connect: org.bluez.Error.Failedā€

Looks like no resolution for nowā€¦

iā€™m actually here for this same issue lol. 2020 now and apparently Xbox one wireless bluetooth remotes still are not supported?

I think this should be priority. The Controller of one of the most popular gaming consoles should work in a emulation station wirelessly. Raspberry Pi has bluetooth for more than 2 years now and Pi 4 has just been released with Bluetooth 5.0.

When you are couch gaming in front of TV, connecting 3 meters USB cable isnā€™t ideal and feasible. I can connect my Xbox One S Wireless controller to my Windows 10 PC with 5 clicks and one touch of pair button, but Iā€™ve been working for 2 hours now, dealing with SSH, bash codes, bluetoothctl console commands just to make it connect.