Core and Feature Requests

I am currently open to feature requests(yes does not mean now or soon!),but only if I know the system well.(SNES,NES,DOS,GENESIS=Yes)(Others=Maybe)(MAME*.**,N64,DreamCast,GameCube=No)

If I feel like this is a major issue or easy to fix I will likely fix it immediately.
(an example of this is the dosbox dynarecs being offline for over a year, not necessarily a bug but without those the emulator is severely crippled.(only runs 1/4 of the speed it could))

DONE:
(Mednafen WonderSwan)Can rotate the display and input with select button
(Gambatte)Support bootloader emulation(to display original boot logo, GBC and GB bootloaders)
(mGBA)Turbo keys
(mGBA)Fix x86 Android compile
(DosBox)MMX opcodes
(DosBox)LFN support (Long File Name)
(DosBox)MT32 Midi
(DosBox)Re-enable Dynarecs(x86-32,x86-64,armv7,armv4/5/6)
(DosBox)Update to dosbox r4000(latest svn as of Oct 12 2016)
(DosBox)Update to newest svn (r4006)
(Snes)New snes emulator with threads(very beta,only uses 2 cpus when superfx is active)
(Snes9x2017)Make headered Roms work
(PUAE)Fix missing mac build
(Misc)PokeMini port
(BlueMSX)Support .dsk ROMs
(Pcsx_rearmed)Fixed crash on menu reset
(Pcsx_rearmed)Added display boot logo option
(PC98)Core Port(Neko Project 2)
(BlueMSX)Disk swap option

PLANNED:
(FCEUmm)Add “blow on microphone” button
(PicoDrive)Storyware book/pen support
(DosBox)Use real threads/more than 1 cpu(will fix input lag when cycles set too high/fixes cycles=auto/max)
(PokeMini)Fix save states
(MAC68K)Port basilisk2
(Snes9x****)Air strike patrol shadow fix

MAYBE:
(Gambatte)Make motion sensor work in Kirby Tilt and Tumble(First make it boot in Gambatte)
(Soft patching)I may port a universal patcher as a core but soft patching is just a waste of time on every boot.(My opinion, I do not represent the views of libretro/retroarch as a whole.)
(Snes9x****)Sufami Turbo Support
(FM TOWNS)Core Port(****)
(Apple2GS)Core Port(****)
(DosBox)Fluidsynth
(DosBox)Voodoo GFX
(DosBox)Input mapping sticky keys
(4DO)Save states ???
(Nestopia)4 player support

DENIED:
(WinUAE port)The description states I wont port duplicate cores, see puae/fsuae ports.
(Mednafen PCE accurate core)The description states I wont port duplicate cores, are there known problems with the fast core?
(Anything Netplay)I have no knowledge in this area.(This may change later)
(PSX)6xbrz for PSX core(this is not emulation related, this is for the frontend to deal with using a GPU shader, the cores just output the emulated systems default resolution framebuffer)
(DosBox)Save States(Complete rewrite would be needed)
(DosBox)Mouse input(This is an issue with RetroArch and happens in all cores that use mouse input)
(Video4linux / any non universal core)No, for me if it does not work on everything it might as well work on nothing.(That is the whole point to emulators is cross compatibility)

If there is a game system that is not supported and you want it ported to RetroArch, here is where to post it.
If the system is already accurately emulated and full speed on low end hardware I will not port another core for it!(If another dev would like to or not is up to them.)(I will however fix what is causing the problem on the existing core.)

As of May 4 2017 all posts requesting a duplicate core without a reason will be deleted.
If your reason is invalid I will help you fix the issue you are having with the current core. If there is a feature that emulator has over all the existing cores for that system it is a valid request.

Update Thanksgiving 2017
I have not posted here for a while, but this thread is not dead, just very full and out of date.
Recently I have got a NEW 2DSxl and am now providing support for 3DS issues, I will soon setup devkitARM and have just submitted a pull request with proper assets for 3 cores that where missing them.

19 Likes

I think cycles=auto is just 2 hardware threads,1 for gui and 1 for dos and then dos just runs at max speed without affecting gui.(Thats why when you enabled cycles=auto it lagged because the gui had to wait to read buttons/draw the screen.)

Do you have a threading library in libretro-common that is hardware independent and uses more than one cpu?(If not is C++11 ok?)

Roland mt-32 emulation please!

Edit: It would be cool if retroarch made different midi devices available, so for example it could run Munt and dos, amiga, and other computer emulators would all have access it to it.

Great you’re working on it!

Yes the cycle problem is the biggest one.

Then there’s something that is perhaps a retroarch problem that’s quite annoying here: the mouse is limited in its axis. Try an FPS game like Wolfenstein and you can just turn left-right on a 60° range or something.

(I mentioned it on github.)

3dfx emulation would be nice :smiley:

3 Likes

It’s been a while I haven’t used it in retroarch.

Just tried some heretic again with machine=svga_paradise and 55000 cycles. It ran perfectly fine and I didn’t experience the usual “slowdown after a while” finishing 2 maps, really cool.

I couldn’t use midi sound, so I guess that isn’t supported. Soundblaster works for music for what it is.

The mapper option is nice too, it’s missing some buttons though (L2, R2, L3, R3).

Thanks for the midi implementation! Working fine! :slight_smile:

As you mentioned taking request for other cores… There is this issue with bsnes/bsnes_mercury that can’t seem to be able to launch Satellaview/BS-X games. It’s supported by stand-alone though.

It perhaps needs to declare some path in system to the rom/bios files and make some auto-launch method?

Sorry found another issue. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Mapper in Control/Option menu is messing with the keyboard.

If I map some keys to my gamepad then I see strange things happening in the Dos prompt: “a” registers as “az”, “x” becomes "x " (with a space)… Also “Enter” registers like 5 times for 1 command.

1 Like

What happened to the dynarec,when I reenabled it it just hung with blinking cursor when trying to launch a program.

This is what I want to fix next but don’t know where to even begin.

Perhaps you can ask them on IRC channel: #retroarch @ irc.freenode.org.

Hello. There are DosBox Builds that supports savestates. Do you think it can be done with the Retroarch version of the Dosbox Core ?

Sadly no,because savestates take a dump of device RAM and put it in a file. This does not account for the harddrive(1-100gb each) and floppys(1.44mb each) that dos has that would also need to be backed up. You could ignore those but then RAM and harddrives will be out of sync.(that has major risk of corruption) So an entire rewrite that logs all disk writes would be needed.(or 200gb savestates)

Consoles dont have harddrives so a full dump is only cart sram and working ram.(1-500mb)

I find bsnes a waste of time since it is not cross compatible.(due to speed problems)

Does it work in snes9x?

Snes9x can launch some Satellaview games with less compatibility.

Nothing runs Sufami Turbo games atm in retroarch while it should work with bsnes.

Well, don’t bother if you don’t care and keep improving DosBox, that’s OK with me! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;48559]Snes9x can launch some Satellaview games with less compatibility.

Nothing runs Sufami Turbo games atm in retroarch while it should work with bsnes.

Well, don’t bother if you don’t care and keep improving DosBox, that’s OK with me! :)[/QUOTE]

I do care about snes just not bsnes.

What game are you trying to play?(I may add it to snes9x.)

I wanted to try all those Sufami Turbo games I never played (there is not so many of them):

Then Konae-chan no Dokidoki Penguin Kazoku as it was said to work only with bsnes. Just wanted to try the stuff I never could launch with snes9x.

[QUOTE=guicrith;48553]Sadly no,because savestates take a dump of device RAM and put it in a file. This does not account for the harddrive(1-100gb each) and floppys(1.44mb each) that dos has that would also need to be backed up. You could ignore those but then RAM and harddrives will be out of sync.(that has major risk of corruption) So an entire rewrite that logs all disk writes would be needed.(or 200gb savestates)

Consoles dont have harddrives so a full dump is only cart sram and working ram.(1-500mb)[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see. Hmmm. Another idea : Do you think there could be a way to use soundfonts for midi music ? Like a version of fluidsynth that could work on all/most platforms ?

Another request for Voodoo / 3DFX support please. I’ve manually been patching DOSBox to support it here but as there’s several different versions, it’s hard to find good documentation on it and it doesn’t seem to work all that well when done in this fashion.

1 Like

I need more details,is P2 just not hooked up?

Someone please fix https://github.com/libretro/dosbox-libretro/issues/32, keyboard gets stuck on Linux. Core is unusable since forever.