Core and Feature Requests

It sounds like you are willing to donate to a bounty for someone to port the “accuracy” version of this core, is that correct?

If that is true, there needs to be a github issue created that requests this work. More information about how a bounty is created can be found here: https://docs.libretro.com/development/bounties/

There’s an issue open for it here:

1 Like

yes that’s right but I’m not very comfortable with this system, could you please create it? I am ready to put $ 60, thanks

This is the page where you can donate to a bounty for that issue: https://www.bountysource.com/issues/27336480-mednafen-accurate-pce-module

it’s done, thank you to open a post in the section bounty discussions for this project so that it is visible

Thank you for your donation. I appreciate that language barriers are a real issue so I am glad to create a forum post as well, modeled on my other bounty threads: [Bounty: $60] Port Medafen Accurate PCE module as a core

AI upscaling for PSX, N64, Saturn, NintendoDS, PSP

i test reicast core, is better than demul emulator?

I’m interested in this pce accuracy core. More so, where it’s clear that it’s more accurate than the pce-fast core - I have to wonder how this all stacks up to the SuperGrafx core. I’ve been using that one over pce-fast for quite some time.

@wertz is more familiar with them, but IIRC, pce-fast and supergrafx used to be the same core but were split up for use with extremely low-powered systems (i.e., PSP), so they’re similar. I don’t have any real comparison vs PCE-accurate except there are a couple of games that don’t exhibit the glitches found in the fast core.

1 Like

Maybe this has been requested already, but I would love frameskipping fast-fwd, ala MAME. On one hand it would be much more power-efficient and on the other it would allow turbo on demanding cores.

Also, regarding controls: multiple button macros, ability to set several actions to the same button and per-button autofire.

1 Like

Retroarch on windows can go fullscreen in super resolution as long as it’s 2560x240, if it’s 2560x224 it doesn’t work (only if you change the desktop resolution to that beforehand but that makes frontends unusable)

soooo what I’d like to suggest is that when retroarch is in super resolution, it identifies the horizontal and vertical resolution of the game you’re loading, then adjust the vertical to what’s needed then centralize it

for example in umk3 for lr-mame the vertical is 256, i set custom viewport height to 256 then the Y position up a bit to center it, doesn’t crop much at all, the resolution is still 2560x240, also the aspect ratio isn’t far from 4:3 and the scanlines match, i saved game overrides in this case but mame has so many games with different resolutions, every time i want to experiment a new game i have to go into settings and change custom viewport height up and down until i see that (1x)

I believe the goal is for alphanu’s switchres work to handle all of the 240p switching.

If I recall correctly, the only reason that supergrafx and pce fast were split was that there are like two games for pc engine that don’t work with a supergrafx attached (this applies to real hardware and emulation). So the Supergrafx core is basically the catch all core for pc-engine and related systems while pce fast is the core you use for those two games.

They were split to make the pce_fast part a bit faster without relying on the sgx part.
I don’t think it was really worth the trouble tbh, it’s a bit marginal like 5%? I don’t remember exactly.

The sgx core works with the couple of games that are problematic (space harrier, double dungeons W…) after Wertz made them auto-switch to pce compatible mode.

The new core is more accurate with tighter timings, it runs around 500fps vs 1500fps on an i5-3570k@4Ghz here.
Some games like Violent Soldier have some glitches fixed with it, I’m not sure of any other.
Some auto-crop and auto resolution switch for particular games mixing different resolutions into the same frame, pixel blending, various audio options…
The sound is less muddy at the default settings I feel.

2 Likes

The PCE version of Popful Mail freezes on cutscenes in the PCE-Fast/SGX cores, which is fixed in the accuracy one. It’s quite a bit different than the Sega CD version, so it’s worth checking out. Ultimately I think the SCD version is better and it’s the only one with an English translation though.

trinemark added a dedicated turbo I and II button option by setting “Turbo Hotkey” to “always” too, which is nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Beetle PCE is up on the buildbot for most platforms.

4 Likes

Are the emulators from Takeda’s Common Source project portable?

http://takeda-toshiya.my.coocan.jp/

http://takeda-toshiya.my.coocan.jp/common/index.html

That project covers all the major Japanese computer 8bit stuff (PC-88x, FM7x etc.) and some more (e.g. the Super Cassette Vision) but I have never seen any ports by someone else even though the source is available. The advantages over MAME are the usual ones (faster, savestates, depending on driver maybe more compatible). Takeda’s stuff is awkward to use in 240p though, seems only to work with a windowed desktop that way.

wow, that’s a bunch of stuff. Is it all in one program, then?

It’s split in different exes, kinda like Vice I suppose.

1 Like