Cores not downloading to the correct place using APT?

Sort of a weird issue. I setup retroarch using the testing PPA on Ubuntu 18.10.

I ran into a weird thing, but I found a workaround. After doing an apt-get install retroarch* libretro-* all the cores seemed to download correctly to:

/usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/libretro which has symlinks to all the cores in: /usr/lib/libretro

Okay, but when I load retroarch, no cores are found. I checked my user directory ~/.config/retroarch/cores and all I have are .info files. When I download a core through the RetroArch online updater tool, the core .so files appear in ~/.config/retroarch/cores.

So I copied all the .so files from /usr/lib/libretro to ~/.config/retroarch/cores and now all the cores show up correctly in the retroarch menu. Games load and play fine. While I don’t mind doing this, it would be nicer to simply run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade and have the cores automatically update. Or I could my symlinks myself.

The PPA is undergoing changes, check this thread.

As I understand, it has been decided that cores will not be updated in the PPA, you should download them directly from the updater in Retroarch (the new paths are for this).

1 Like

I wasn’t sure from the conversations if this was the same issue. Thanks for letting me know I am not crazy.

1 Like