Crash/Input problems on startup with RetroArch on LibreElec

I’ve installed RetroArch on an Intel NUC LibreElec installation. However, I’m running into a very curious problem in the XMB menu; when I start RetroArch, it seems to work, but no input devices seem to work. Nothing happens when I press keyboard buttons, nor when I press buttons on various controllers I tried. The controllers are correctly recognized in a yellow overlay text. The only thing that’s working is the mouse cursor, which is moving, but the mouse buttons are not working.

[INFO] Environ SET_PIXEL_FORMAT: RGB565.
[INFO] Redirecting save file to "/storage/emulators/saves/.srm".
[INFO] Redirecting savestate to "/storage/emulators/saves/.state".
[INFO] Version of libretro API: 1
[INFO] Compiled against API: 1
[INFO] [Audio]: Set audio input rate to: 29970.03 Hz.
[ERROR] [SoftFilter]: Did not find config:
[ERROR] [Video]: Failed to load filter.
[INFO] [Video]: Video @ 960x720
[INFO] [DBus]: Failed to get DBus connection. Screensaver will not be suspended via DBus.
[INFO] [GLX]: GLX_OML_sync_control and GLX_MESA_swap_control supported, using better swap control method...
[INFO] [GL]: Found GL context: x
[INFO] [GL]: Detecting screen resolution 1920x1080.
[INFO] [GLX]: X = 0, Y = 0, W = 960, H = 720.
[INFO] [GLX]: Found swap function: glXSwapIntervalMESA.
[INFO] [GLX]: glXSwapInterval(1)
[INFO] [GL]: Vendor: X.Org, Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD PALM (DRM 2.48.0 / 4.9.29, LLVM 3.9.0).
[INFO] [GL]: Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6.
[INFO] [GL]: Using resolution 1920x1080
[INFO] [GL]: Default shader backend found: glsl.
[INFO] [Shader driver]: Using GLSL shader backend.
[INFO] [GLSL]: Checking GLSL shader support ...
[WARN] [GL]: Stock GLSL shaders will be used.
[INFO] [GLSL]: Found GLSL vertex shader.
[INFO] [GLSL]: Found GLSL fragment shader.
[INFO] [GLSL]: Linking GLSL program.
[INFO] [GL]: Using 4 textures.
[INFO] [GL]: Loaded 1 program(s).
[INFO] [GL]: Using GL_RGB565 for texture uploads.
[INFO] [udev] Adding device /dev/input/event2 as type ID_INPUT_KEYBOARD.
[INFO] [udev] Adding device /dev/input/event4 as type ID_INPUT_MOUSE.
[INFO] [udev] Adding device /dev/input/mouse1 as type ID_INPUT_MOUSE.
[INFO] [udev] Adding device /dev/input/event3 as type ID_INPUT_MOUSE.
[INFO] [udev] Adding device /dev/input/mouse0 as type ID_INPUT_MOUSE.
[INFO] [Joypad]: Found joypad driver: "udev".
[ERROR] Failed to create rendering backend: freetype.
Failed to open ^M: No such file or directory
[ERROR] Failed to create rendering backend: stb.
[INFO] [Font]: Using font rendering backend: bitmap.
[INFO] [X11]: Suspending screensaver (X11, xdg-screensaver).
sh: xdg-screensaver: not found
[WARN] Could not suspend screen saver.
ALSA lib /home/chewitt/LibreELEC.80-images/build.LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.2/alsa-lib-1.1.2/src/pcm/pcm.c:2450:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM
[ERROR] [ALSA]: Failed to initialize...
[ERROR] Failed to initialize audio driver. Will continue without audio.
[ERROR] [DSP]: Failed to initialize DSP filter "^M".
[INFO] [Menu]: Found menu display driver: "menu_display_gl".
[INFO] [Font]: Using font rendering backend: freetype.
[INFO] [Font]: Using font rendering backend: freetype.
[INFO] SRAM will not be saved.
[INFO] Loading history file: [/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/game.retroarch/content_history.lpl].
[INFO] Loading history file: [^M/content_favorites.lpl].
[INFO] Loading history file: [/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/game.retroarch/content_music_history.lpl].
[INFO] Loading history file: [/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/game.retroarch/content_video_history.lpl].
[INFO] Loading history file: [/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/game.retroarch/content_image_history.lpl].
[INFO] [GL]: VSync => on
[ERROR] failed_to_start_audio_driver
[INFO] [GL]: VSync => on

Edit: reformatted log

Sorry for the malformed posts, I’ve been struggling to get the log formatting right, but without success. I also can’t delete the second post. :confounded:

Mini-Guide: when posting, highlight the text you want to retain formatting, then on the quickedit toolbar, select that </> icon Below is how it will look.

This is what your text will look like

Formatting aside, you may be missing udev permissions. The easiest thing to do is switch the input driver from udev to linuxraw, at least temporarily.

If I’m missing udev permissions, would the mouse cursor still work? How do I use the linuxraw driver?

in your retroarch.cfg, change

input_driver = "udev"

to

input_driver = "linuxraw"

1 Like

That didn’t help. I think the problem is that RetroArch actually crashes when it starts and gets to the menu. The blue ‘wave’ that can be seen as the background of the menu, is not moving. Also, the yellow text that indicates the connected controllers does not disappear. However, nothing can be seen in the log.

You should follow these quick steps to get the udev input driver working properly and permanently: https://buildbot.libretro.com/docs/guides/input-joypad-drivers/#setting-up-udev-permissions

I notice that your log has audio driver errors as well. What method did you use to install RetroArch on your system?

Thanks, but I don’t think the permissions are the problem, as everything runs as root on LibreElec.

I used this repo to install RetroArch. On another box with almost the same configuration (same LibreElec version) it does work. The only difference is that the working box is an AMD Fusion.

Same here on nuc with LibreELEC. Found out that actually retroarch completely crashes. that’s why I cant Control anything. tried xmb rgui, etc… changed Video driver, nothing works.

works on tablet or firetv though. it’s interessting that firetv chooses xmb and my tablet rgui.

but I would love to use my LibreELEC nuc. since more Power and more space.

now I tried lakka via USB Stick and it works flawless. But gamestarter retroarch would be more comfortable.

ideas?

Hello everyone! Sorry to “hijack” the thread, but I’d like to place my question here as well. See if there’s someone who can help me …

So I’ve got Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon running on my laptop and the first time I got RetroArch I used the terminal. I can’t remember exactly what commands I inputted, but it worked fine and all that. Couple of days ago I ran the “Update Manager” and when I went to start RetroArch again it had different icons, new versions and it seems to be working, but no input whatsoever works!

I tried the suggestions up above by changing the input_driver, but no go :frowning: Anyone have any idea what’s up?

Thanks in advance!!