CRT-Royale mask types

Hi,

Mask types 0 and 1 of CRT-Royale look exactly the same to me. Also, mask type 2 has uneven scanlines even with integer scaling. I was wondering if all of this is normal.

Thanks

which version? Cg, GLSL or slang?

GLSL.

To be as clear as possible and go over the minimum char limit, the version is GLSL.

They indeed look very similar and the difference isn’t super-visible on typical busy images, but if you look at it on a flat background, you can see the crossbars that divide the slot mask vertically while the aperture grill has unbroken vertical phosphors. Likewise, the shadow mask pattern appears to make the scanlines uneven, but it’s just an effect of the mask pattern interacting with the scanline effect.

If you change the mask sample mode parameter to 2.0, it will show the mask pattern at the same size as the screen, which isn’t very useful except to see the difference between the sample textures.

Thanks. I see a difference between mask types on N64 games, but the shader looks very different here from what it looks like on older platforms like SNES and MAME. On older platforms masks 0 and 1 produce a perfectly regular grid. On the N64 horizontal scanlines are missing. I wonder what makes this difference between platforms? Is resolution too high on N64 games to make room for scanlines in between?

Yes, if you’re using an increased internal res on N64, it’s not going to have visible scanlines.

I was indeed using an increased internal resolution. After decreasing it, horizontal scanlines are back and there’s no visible difference between mask types on the N64 either. Is this wanted? Or do mask details reveal themselves at very high monitor resolutions (4k etc) ?

They’re more visible at higher monitor resolutions, yeah, and there’s also some differences with mask sample type 0/1.

You can also try messing with some of the other mask parameters to make the dot pitch lower on the emulated screen, which should make the phosphors more visible and thus make a bigger difference between the slot mask and aperture grille textures.

1 Like