Disable blurry/bilinear textures on Mupen64

I basically have the exact same issue as this guy, difference being I can’t use Parallel. How do I get Paper Mario to look sharp like it does there, on Mupen? What setting should I change?

Is the texture filtering set to auto? If so, try changing it to nearest and then back to auto. IIRC, there’s some issue with it choosing bilinear when it should choose nearest at first and switching it away temporarily knocks some sense into it.

Hmm, it’s set to “none”. The other options are Smooth Filter 1, 2, 3, 4 and Sharp Filtering 1, 2. The latest two are not really nearest neighbor but rather some sort of ugly Photoshop filter. Should it say bilinear/nearest?

Ah, no, I’m thinking of ParaLLEl-N64’s core option. You could try setting ‘texture enhancement’ to ‘as is’. Not sure if that would help but it’s worth a shot.

Oh, too bad. That didn’t do it either but thanks anyhow. I need vulkan to run Parallel, yeah? Kind of stuck here due to just having an integrated Intel HD 4000.

It’s confusing, but there’s a ParLLEl-N64 core and a ParaLLEl RDP plugin. You don’t need vulkan to run the core itself, just the RDP plugin. In fact, by default, the ParaLLEl-N64 core uses a GL-based plugin.

Hm, this is what I get when I try running any game on Parallel: https://pastebin.com/S0PanWcy. Could you take a look at it and tell me why it crashes on start?

It’s trying to use the vulkan renderer, so if you can open your retroarch-core-options.cfg file in a text editor and delete the entries for the parallel-n64 core, it should return it to defaults.

I’ve got two of those files on the main RetroArch folder, and one in RetroArch > config, is that normal? In any case, neither have any configs for parallel listed at all. Could you give me the one sets it to use open gl so that I can paste it there?

parallel-n64-gfxplugin = "auto"
parallel-n64-rspplugin = "auto"

Too bad because it still crashes. Thanks anyhow.

Open retroarch.config with note notepad. look for video_smooth. if it says true change it to false then save it.I did this and Mario looked sharp again.