Does RetroArch support Force Feedback?

I am using the Bliss Box and the Mupen Core. I’ve confirmed that rumble works with the Bliss Box API, but when I set the controller to “rumble” from within the core, it doesn’t work. I am using an N64 controller with a rumble pak.

It depends on your joypad/input driver(s), I think. I believe it’s supported through xinput…?

I remember that Project64 supported rumble with my Logitech Rumblepad 2, which was dinput…but that was PJ64, not RetroArch…BParker on the Libretro Discord chat says:

• I’m not sure if mupen supports rumble at all or if it does, if blissbox can work with it yet or not it looks like only xinput supports rumble and blissbox is dinput if I recall you’d have to ask ulao about it then cause I don’t see an immediate way that it would work - -

So I guess that’s that =/

I can verify rumble works in mupen at least through xinput. There are only a few games that make use of it though, so make sure you try something like San Francisco rush with the rumble pack set in your controller.

I tried it out with Super Smash Bros which does have rumble support, but no-go.

Ok so I came across an interesting thread on this forum: Force feedback for DirectInput devices?

• Force feedback works when using x360ce in combination with the SDL2 input device driver and selecting the emulated Xinput controller in the input settings menu.

I’m gonna try using those in conjunction with the Bliss Box and see if it works. I just have to look up what the SDL2 input device driver is.

I heard that it will be implemented, it’s just a matter of when…I can’t wait. This is going to be yet another reason why Bliss Box and RetroArch is the ultimate emulator solution.

1 Like

Aside from the Di being fairly in trivial, the Bliss-Box will accept the API commands to rumble. If there is a bit of a push to further use the API (i.e. pressure buttons) more then just a way to get names, it could be an easier way to implement rumble.

@Ya_Dad I tried to track you down on the discord. I wanted to let you know that a fix was made in rumble. You mentioned something about weak rumble. A bug was found and fixed. Look forward to the 218 release of the firmware.

@anon24419061 I was just thinking the other day, I wonder if we could also use FFB as a means to get pressure data. I mean after all it is a physical implementation of the controller. It does not give my adapter any advantage as I already has a driver-less solution for pressure but it would make it easier for a ‘standard’. This way other developers can use FFB as a way to deliver pressure data. Granted it is not feedback to the controller but it is feedback to the host… not sure if this helps things? Was just a thought.

Guys, you are confusing rumble with force feedback…

Force feedback is meant for driving wheels to move the wheel reacting to the enviroment, state of the car, sometimes centers the wheel, etc

EDIT: If it dynamically changes the force that you have to apply to the stick/wheel it count as force feedback. (I had forgotten the flight sticks) Rumble/vibration is feedback, but not FFB

1 Like

From a technical point of view it all falls under Haptic technology. But it is considered public knowledge (or public miss-conceptional knowledge) that rumble or vibration is FFB. Like everything today terms lose there value and get misconstrued.

Though the same mechanism in the HID that jolts a wheel also vibrates the motor, so in this case it is all under the same hood.

Not only does Retroarch supports Rumble, but it does it VERY accurately for PS1 and N64.
I ran a few tests with fresh 2x1.5V batteries in the N64 controller Rumble Pak and compared it to DS4+DS4Windows+Parallel64; the feel/strength of the force feedback is like 97% identical to the N64 rumble, same with PS1 games and DS1 controller.

I compared in THPS3 where there is rumble practically in every move, especially Grinding.
As already said, the DS4 in Retroarch compared very accurately to the hardware N64 and PS1 rumble.

James-F, are you using xinput with that controller somehow? We knew xinput works, we are talking about direct input (not yet implemented).

Yeah, Xinput with DS4Windows.
Dinput doesn’t support rumble unfortunately.

No RA does not support direct input, direct input of couse supports rumble :wink:

Oh… we wait then. :grinning:
As far as I know even PCSX2 doesn’t support Rumble in DInput, I assume it is much harder to implement.

yes it does and does so correctly. Most all emulators that support rumble work on direct input fewer work with xinput. “I assume it is much harder to implement.” - That is a correct assumption but there are so many examples out there.

I believe you have it backwards.
PCSX2 Lilypad has rumble only with xinputs.
The DS4 connected with USB or BT in windows, is a Direct Input only device.

No it works with dinput, I have screen shot data showing the traffic over usb. Work with my HID dinput device just fine. Never had a problem with it actually. PCSX2 is one if the emulators that does it a bit more accurately.

If the DS4 is not working my guess is they just didnt add rumble support to the driver.

Your HID dinput device is not a DS4 is it? Because the standard DS4 dinput driver does not support rumble.

No, I don’t use that stuff… I’m a USB developerand have used many computer direct input controllers.

There are 3 methods for dinput.

1. HID PID FFB (all native to the OS, no driver)/

2. A driver version of FFB.

3. no FFB.

I normally see 2 working where 1 works and visa-versa. but sometime 2 does not work. I bet the DS4 is a 3. Easy way to tell. Does it work in epsxe, or project64 ? If not then its a 3. My guess is the driver that was made to interface with the DS4 is just incomplete. There is nothing wrong with lilipad, PCSX2, or dinput.