Dolphin core - Issues

Hi guys

Managed to get the Saturn core running yesterday thanks to some help from members of this forum (you know who you are!).

Today I thought I’d try and get a bit more out of Dolphin by running it through Retroarch - with mixed results.

Importing my previous save files was very easy, all the games that loaded seem to have all the correct save data.

Probably worth noting all the games I am about to mention work well on standalone Dolphin with no errors (at least that I’m aware of).

There have been some anomalies I thought I’d share and questions I wanted to ask:

1. Retroarch GUI doesn’t seem to read CISO files What I mean is that it doesn’t recognise them as games when ‘Scanning Directory’, however it will load them as games if you manually request it via ‘Load Content’. I changed my Mario Kart Wii.CISO to .ISO, however this didn’t change anything: it played fine but didn’t pick up via ‘Scanning Directory’. Is there any way to fix this?

2. Resolution of games doesn’t fill out screen. My laptop (Dell XPS 15 - 2017) has a native 4K UHD resolution (3840 x 2160). Is there a straightforward way to fix this?

3. Embarrassingly I still can’t figure out how to ‘fix’ the controls! I know I can F1 into games and go down to controls, but I can’t seem to ‘select’ each button I wish to remap. I am obviously not doing it right but I can’t figure out what I am supposed to press when I have selected the button I wish to remap. Any suggestions?

4. Games only seem to load ‘every other time’. At first I thought I was doing something wrong (perhaps I am…) but on the first attempt of ever game, none of them loaded properly. They just cut RetroArch to a black screen and that was it. However I ‘Esc’ out of RetroArch, start up again and they seem to play fine. Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?

5. Performance seems more ‘stuttery’, not as slick. I don’t have a high end gaming PC, but I have never seen any slowdown whilst using standalone Dolphin. My laptop has an i7-7700HQ (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz) and integrated NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5 - presumably this should be adequate for running most GC/Wii games. What is the best way to maximise frame rate to an acceptable level? It is mainly jerky menus I’m experiencing but I’d imagine this must be frame rate related.

Several of the games I have (again, fully functional on standalone Dolphin) do not run. This is after giving them at least a dozen boots. GCN: Timesplitters: Future Perfect (E) Viewtiful Joe 2 (E) Wii: Xenoblade Chronicles

Are these games known not to work, or am I screwing this up somehow?

Also, I noticed that the following game loads with strange errors: F-Zero GX (E) - images missing from menus, tracks load but can’t interact, ship is missing etc.

Again, is this a known issue, or is there something I’ve mucked up here?

For the record, the following games have worked no bother: GC: Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (U) Metroid Prime (E) Super Mario Sunshine (E) Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (E) The Legend of Zelda: Collector’s Edition (E) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time/Master Quest (E) The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker (E) The Legend of Zelda: Twighlight Princess (USA) TimeSplitters 2 (E)

Wii: Mario Kart Wii Super Paper Mario NiGHTS - Journey of Dreams (USA) - text missing from menus (specific letters) but seems to play (?) Sonic Colors(USA)

Pretty long post, but happy to provide more detail to anyone who cares to ask!

1 Like

The dolphin core is pretty incomplete, to the point that it’s probably best to just stick with standalone Dolphin for any real work and consider the libretro core more of a preview/novelty at this point.

As for games not working or having issues, I don’t think the libretro core has access to the database of per-game hacks that get much of that stuff working properly in upstream, so that probably accounts for some/most of the discrepancy.

As for working every other time, do they continue to work after that first failure? Or is it really “every other time”? If they work after the first time, it may have something to do with creating a save file or something /shrug

For scanning, the files need to match our database of game hashes, which are based on no-intro/redump hashes. If you have the games compressed/scrubbed in any way, the hashes won’t match anymore.

1 Like