Emu4iOS / non-Jailbroken README

Since Emu4iOS started offering a build of RetroArch, there has been an influx of non-Jailbroken iOS users, so I figured we should clarify a couple of things for new users:

1.) Emu4iOS is not affiliated with RetroArch/libretro in any way. They insert ads into their build, which goes against our philosophy about monetizing emulators. However, RetroArch and libretro are open-source, so that’s something we’re going to have to live with. Nevertheless, their build will have to be at least partially unsupported, as we are unable to ensure quality, particularly with regards to any unforeseen behavior caused by their code additions.

2.) Using RetroArch on non-Jailbroken devices–regardless of how it is achieved–will always be a suboptimal experience due to the fact that Apple does not allow dynamic recompilation of code (i.e., dynarecs), which are vital to achieving full speed on low-power devices, such as iPhones and iPads. This means that any emulation cores that rely on dynarecs will have considerably higher system requirements on non-Jailbroken devices and are unlikely to run fullspeed. These cores current include PCSX-ReARMed, Mupen64Plus, picodrive and DeSmuME and may include more in the future.

Thanks for this. Very insightful.

I had originally thought if I could put RetroArch on a non-jailbroken device it’d be the same, but this clears things up and makes total sense.

Hope Libretro does something about those ad filled ios ports of retroarch in Emu4ios like he did with the blackberry guys when they tried to fill with ads this awesome software.

The blackberry folks were nice enough to honor our wishes not to commercialize but that’s not likely from the emu4ios guys. They technically shouldn’t include any non-bsnes SNES cores or genplusgx or any MAME core other than mame-git, due to license incompatibilities (those are all non-commercial cores) but that’s not likely to get much traction with them either.

Man what assholes, Squarepusher was right when he said mobile appstores these days are full of opportunist shark tank wannabe entrepreneurial losers that only care about lining their pockets. What can be done?

Not much. In the actual app stores, pretty much anyone can apparently throw out a takedown notice for pretty much anything and it will probably succeed for any apps not backed by a big company (we got pulled a few times with no explanation what for). For jailbroken shit, though, anything goes.

You can try to win people over through education but most users just want to play their pokemans and don’t really care about the background drama.

The best strategy, I think, is just to not get worked up about it and keep providing the best experience we can within our limited means.