FBA Core slowdown after a while since 1.7.4

Hi,

Since update to 1.7.4 the FBA core starts to slowdown after a while. It starts full speed but after some minutes it starts to slowdown progressively until it becomes unplayable. This doesn’t happen with other cores (Snes9x / Mupen64Plus…) I have tried NeoGeo and CPS2 games which used to run fine, even with some run ahead frames in my system (Nvidia Shield). Any idea? Could somebody else reproduce the issue? Thanks

FBA slowing down with runahead is a known thing, but we’re not altogether sure why. Seems like it could be a memory leak with the savestate process.

Ok, thanks for answering. It is true that I started playing with run ahead since this is my default for FBA core. When it starts to slowdown I deactivate run ahead and it goes back to normal speed but after some minutes slowdown starts again. I will try again with run ahead off since the beginning to make sure slow down does not happen in this case.

We know why, Dwedit fixed that in recent RetroArch nightlies.
It shouldn’t happen anymore now.

Also FBA has been fixed to allow run ahead 2 instances which alleviates many sound problems.

1 Like

I just tried on Android with a nightly RA (I tried 32-bit and 64-bit) and a fresh FBA pull and it still wouldn’t do second-instance. I didn’t wait to see if the perf degraded anymore.

Perhaps the temp path for the 2nd instance has some problem on android.

ah, yeah, good call. does it need a read/write location? I can double-check that.

Whatever you can do of that: :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks hunterk and tatsuya for the answers and work on this. Just to know, I have uodated FBA core and slowdown is still there. I guess we would also need to install nightly or wait to next RA stable release to actually be able to get the fix right?

yes, you need to update your RetroArch executable, as well.

Did you ever come up with a solution for Android being unable to create a second instance?