FinalBurn Neo - Android - Performance decrease CPS1

Hi,

I use libretro and some cores to test performance when changing ROMs / kernel setings etc on my phone. One of the cores I use is FinalBurn Neo (previously FBAlpha) CPS1 core, I have noticed a performance decrease compared to FBAlpha. With same settings, I get 20-30 fps more in FBAlpha compared to FBNeo. It’s not critical for this core in particular since I am still getting 150fps or more but I’m curious if some recent change has caused this?

Hmmm, i might be misunderstanding something, but unlike the old fbalpha2012, neither the fbalpha core nor the fbneo core have a “cps1 version”, so i want to confirm something : you are talking about the standard fbneo core, right ?

I can think of 2 things :

• core options & overrides got reset with the change of name, maybe you had some setting with the old core that improved speed ?
  • there was a huge change on Qsound emulation (cps1 & cps2 sound board), it’s a lot more accurate now (and the sound is a lot clearer as a result), maybe there is an impact on performance ? If so it might be a good idea to add some core option to revert back to old inaccurate emulation

sorry for the confusion, I am using both the FBAlpha and FBNeo standard cores.

I am using Cadillacs and Dinosaurs to test, there is no Qsound logo that I can see but just searched it and it seems this game uses Qsound. I will try another Qsound game to confirm.

OK, so I tried Alien vs Predator which is for sure a Qsound game and I can indeed confirm there is a 30fps loss when letting the core run in fast forward. Again, on a phone with a SD845 I am still getting 160fps in FBNeo vs 190fps in FBAlpha so it’s not that critical. Not sure about impact on less powerful devices like the RPis.

rpi3 seems fine, not sure about rpi2 though

Should allow Users to choose FBA Core if Neo is not working as it should. I could be set to FBA all I want, but for some reason, I can only Select Neo or 2012 when it comes time to Load up a Rom. I selected FBA for a reason.

FBNeo is working as it should, FBAlpha is dead.

Well, I will just stay on a older Build until Neo runs better.

Vita -

Pre Neo: FBA ran CPS1/2/Neo and even PSX Core ran perfectly.

After Neo is introduced: CPS Games running slower, and even the PSX Core runs slower for some reason.

Since PC or Nintendo Switch has no problems, it is likely that PSVITA simply lacks performance.

No, it was running faster, because it was less accurate, this is different from running better.

You make it sound as if the PSX core is running slower because of the FBNeo core… I think i already gave you hints on how to improve speed with FBNeo on your vita in another topic, but you didn’t bother saying if it helped. Anyway if you are satisfied with inaccurate emulation, and your device sucks performance-wise, you can use fbalpha2012, that’s its very purpose.

1 Like