Force Specific Resolution?

I’m using the FFMPEG core to watch video files at 240p by using CRTSwitchRes. Because the core doesn’t request a specific resolution or anything, it obviously doesn’t kick in automatically.

I’m able to force it ‘partially’ by using this core override:

aspect_ratio_index = "0"
video_fullscreen_x = "1920"
video_fullscreen_y = "240"
video_scale_integer = "true"
video_shader_enable = "true"
video_shader = "W:\Emulators\RetroArch\shaders\0 - Video.glslp"

The problem that I’m running into is that it won’t actually push 1920x240. It lists that as the fullscreen resolutions in the video settings, but it will still show the 1280x960 of my normal desktop resolution.

Once it’s started I can go into video settings, then select 1280x960 for the new resolution sub-menu and select 1920x240 and it looks perfect - but I’d really like to avoid ‘having’ to do that step every-time I launch a video from my frontend.

Is it possible to force it to boot in that 240p resolution?

video_fullscreen_x/y should work as long as RetroArch us using exclusive fullscreen and the modeline already exists.

1 Like

That was what it was. I always turn off windowed fullscreen in programs. I’m not sure why that was set. Is there ‘any’ real benefit to ‘not’ using exclusive?

So now it does switch to the right resolution on startup yay! but when I exit it doesn’t return to the desktop to 1280x960. :frowning:

It sounds like you’re using a launcher, right? Can you add a resolution-changing bat script to your retroarch launch line?

Yeah, I’m using RocketLauncher specifically. I’m not sure how I’d edit this in RL, but I assume you mean adding the resolution modifiers to this command line it pushes out at launch?

Process.Run - Running: W:\Emulators\RetroArch\retroarch.exe “C:\Videos\Movies\Beavis & Butt-head - Do America.mp4” -f -c “W:\Emulators\RetroArch\retroarch.cfg” -L "W:\Emulators\RetroArch\cores\ffmpeg_libretro.dll

No, I meant doing something like this:

and invoke that resolution-change command after your RetroArch command finishes (often achieved in scripts with a double-ampersand).

1 Like

Ohhhh ok now I get ya, so basically it would run the bat when it tells RA to close and return to the frontend. I know I can do something like that with the PCLauncher module, and I found a setting ‘in’ RA that is supposed to return your resolution to what it records before it launches, but that isn’t working haha.

I’ll have to play around with RL and see what I can pull out of it. I’m sure there’s a way to shoehorn that in somewhere lol