Gambatte Hang in Kirby's Dreamland

I’ve started using the Gambatte emulator recently. I have read for GB/GBC it’s the most accurate emulator but have run into an issue that has me worried.

I’m running into a hang that commonly happens at the beginning of Floating Islands or King Dedede’s castle. I’ve done a save state just before these points and find maybe 1 in 5 times it goes through, but commonly just hangs. I haven’t run into any issues with any other games so far.

I’ve tried the following

• Tried in another emulator core (mGBA), works but it’s listed as having rough GB/GBC support, and lacks color options
  • Tried another copy of the rom
  • Tried different video drivers (DX12, Vulkan, OpenGL)
  • Tried Retroarch with fresh settings
  • Tried deleting the core and reinstalled
  • Updated to Retroarch 1.7.7

I’m thinking it’s just got to be the game and the emulator but wanted to make sure. Could someone else test if they have these issues? I could share the save state but thought it might violate ToS. It’s pretty easy to get to that point in the game though.

Any help is appreciated.

Sameboy’s taken that crown in the last year or so. I never ran into that problem with KDL when I was using Gambatte, but maybe there’s been a regression in it since I switched to Sameboy.

Is there a way in Sameboy to set the colors to the greens used on the original gameboy?

can you post the save state so we can test it ourselves?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10fOemWxZTg8oJ4M2FrVvaVXsH_QyCnQd/view?usp=sharing

Well, i tested the area with your save 3 times, until i reached the first door. I couldn’t reproduce the hang with Gambatte. I did update most of my cores a couple of days ago so it’s a fresh build.

It looks like I just figured it out.

It’s the run ahead to reduce latency. The game seems to work fine with it off. It works fine in mGBA and Sameboy with it on but not with Gambatte.

I’ve tested it about 20 times now and no hangs with it off.

It doesn’t have a core option like that, but you can always load a shader like handheld\gameboy to replicate that screen type.