Gamepad/input issues, with troubleshooting

running retroarch 1.7.5 (now on 1.7.6) on an android 7.1 TV stick, rk3229 SOC. input and joypad drivers both set to “android” (no other option on mine it seems). i have a bluetooth mouse and 2.4 ghz wireless keyboard, but i’m trying to eliminate the need for those entirely.

the issue is simple to define, at this point i’ve got most of my controls and inputs the way i like them, which is nice, but since i started there’s one thing i couldnt get to come out right

my gamepad (wired USB power-A switch pro controller) works in android home screen. launcher, other apps, etc. but as soon as i open retroarch, it stops working- until i unplug it and plug it back in. then it’s fine. then whenever i load a core/content, it stops working -again- until i unplug and replug it. and again when i close the core and return to the XMB. bluetooth gamepads (steelseries stratus XL) have a similar issue, but the stratus has a physical on-off switch so i just use that. symptom also presents when changing certain settings, usually related to visual filters. i’m trying to set this up as a pick up and play kiosk, so this clearly won’t do.

i’ve toyed with most input and gamepad settings, enabling and disabling various automatic configs, maps, binds, returning to defaults, toying some more, no luck. but its possible i just haven’t tried the right mix of options. if someone has some insight on this, or a possible fix, i’m all ears.

edit: after a complete reinstall i got it working with at least the wired gamepads.

I experienced this also on LAKKA 2.2.1 on my Raspberry Pi 3B after changing shaders. It might be a deeper issue (not only an Android thing), but haven’t tested further.

1 Like

just on changing filter options, or also when loading the app itself, and when opening/closing cores?

an update: i had originally only found one thread with a similar situation to mine, but deeper searching shows several others having my problem. sadly, none of them show a solution. i’m going to experiment with some gamepad IME’s to see if it helps.

if there’s a way to add more drivers, that might help too. “android” is my only option, but some android users have things like udev as options

Hi all, I’m new to to forum, so I can’t create a new thread, hoping a similar issue thread someone could help me out. I’m also new to retroarch, bought a nvidia shield, and so far I have been using my 8bitdo SF30 gamepad (as second player only) with no issues. This week my 8bitdo Genesis M30 arrived, and for some reason I can’t get it to behave on retroarch.

The joypad is connected on the shield, but I mapped it as a the second controller too, and some how, if I touch the nvidia control, it seems that buttons are remapped back to that controller

Another issue, is I really would like to use it as a P1 controller, but I can’t get that to work at all, same problem, the shield controller overrides it. And as a P2 controller the genesis core does not allow me to use it (well it does as Player 2, but I wanted to use it as P1 controller)

Any pointers on what should I look? Share here to get more help?

Thank you