Genesis Plus GX: SG-1000 game "Safari Hunt"

I’ve tried a few SG-1000 games and they all seem to work, with the exception of “Safari Hunting”. The game starts and you can drive around in the vehicle, but as soon as you exit the vehicle the game freezes. This is on both of the available versions of roms that I could find (Taiwan & Japan) of the game. I actually do own this game, but it is a EU versions that I can’t find the rom anywhere and my SC-3000 has been broken for many years, so I couldn’t even dump it if I know how to do it.

I’ve tried with x86_64 (Lakka) and Android (RetroArch, running on a Samsung S6) and they behave identically - everything works until the point you exit the vehicle, then it freezes.

Does anyone have ever successfully run this game on RetroArch?

EDIT: This actually happens also if you try it online on http://www.play-sc-3000.com/cart.php?Game=SAFHUNTG&Letter=S#

Strange, same problem here with Genesis+GX.
Same rom works fine with BlueMSX though.

How’d you get BlueMSX to work with SG-1000 games tho? Always when I try it I only get “missing firmware files” (or something along those lines anyway).

Did you find any other games that don’t work with Genesis+GX? Everything I tried worked (didn’t try THAT many though), it’s just that Safari Hunting doesn’t :frowning:

(and it’s THE game I want to work, since it’s basically the only videogame my mother has ever liked)

See what’s needed in the core info file, you need 2 folders from BlueMSX in system.
I just tried Safari Hunting, haven’t noticed anything else.

Hmm. weird, I made and filled the System/Machines and System/Database folder and now it starts - however it starts straight to an MSX system, doesn’t load the ROM I selected. I have never even so much as looked at an MSX computer, so I’m out of my depth there.

This might be for another thread though, as it has little to do with Genesis+GX other than showing the ROM itself is good (as you got it to work) and not faulty. So there must be a bug/misplaced setting/etc somewhere along the foodchain when using Genesis+GX and this ROM.

for bluemsx to run SG-1000 roms automagically you need a recent nightly of bluemsx, and check retroarch-core-options.cfg if the following is set up like this:

bluemsx_msxtype = “Auto”

then it should auto load the rom. Just tried it with Safari Hunting (Japan).sg and it works

I tried this on Xubuntu 17.04 with RetroArch installed from the software center. If I manually go to edit the type to auto, each time I start RetroArch it changes it back to “MSX2+” :confused:

EDIT: I said go manually edit, because there isn’t an “Auto” option in the game-specific settings in the RetroArch options menu that you can access while running the rom.

Anyway, I changed it to “SG-1000” and it didn’t work, but then on the offchance I tried if the EU variety would work, changed it to “SC-3000” and started the rom and voilá: it works!

I still don’t know why the Genesis+GX hangs on that specific spot, but at least now I know it’s not because of the ROM and/or the machine/RetroArch/anything else but Genesis+GX.

For those who want to check on further, there is a lead: When you exit the vehicle, the game plays a sound that never plays before that… maybe it is sound related?

don’t use the one in the software center, it’s normally horribly out of date. Try using this ppa(I use the testing PPA). The addition of the auto option to bluemsx is a recent addition

1 Like