GenesisGXPlus composite flickers

In GenesisGXPlus, when i go to core options and choose the composite option, i get bad flickering in various objects that were supposed to be transparent.

For instance, with composite, Sonic blends the lines of the waterfalls in order to fake their transparency. This is done on the real hardware+CRT, it’s the intended effect. It also works in GPGX + Composite but when i scroll left and right the waterfall flickers.

The Sega Genesis/Mega Drive is probably the only console that looks better with composite, due to the heavy dithering they used to blend into more colors and the fake transparencies. But i can’t use the composite option because of the flicker. I also want to keep using the CRT-GEOM shader for the scanlines and curvature.

Is there a way to to achieve the intended effect without the annoying flickering?

Also, why does it flicker anyway, is it a bug in the core?

It’s a pretty common issue with NTSC simulation having to do with the pattern of vertical lines. The ‘artifact colors’ (EDIT: and ntsc-xot) shader does it, too.

I would recommend using one of the NTSC shaders (other than artifact colors, of course) in front of crt-geom to avoid it.

1 Like