GenesisGXPlus doesn't detect some 6 button games

I’m trying to setup the controls in Mortal Kombat games and it seems that Mortal Kombat 2 is detected as a 3 button game only. MK3 is fine, X,Z,Y buttons work. But not in MK2. Even if i choose a 6 button controller at the top. It only sees A,B,C and in order to do a high punch you have to press back+punch. Which makes the game impossible to play.

Edit: I went to the game options and for some reason, in the “extra controls” menu, it has “ACTIVATOR” selected. I have to change it to 6 button to fix the controls. Isn’t the activator that thing on the floor where you dance in the middle of it? It screws up the controls, for some reason it always detects that by default when i start the game and i have to change it in the options whenever i restart. Is there a way to stop emulating it?

There is no emulation issue, this is how the game is designed, it does not auto-detect the connected peripheral type and will use 3-button controller and activator by default. To use 6-button controller, you have to select it in game options. This is even explained in game user manual https://segaretro.org/images/3/35/Mortal_Kombat_II_MD_US_Manual.pdf

1 Like

Thanks. I must have mistaken this game with another version since i don’t remember ever having to do this.

Best thing to do with a game like this? Set the in-game options to 6-button, then backout and save-state at the main menu, then game override to auto-load state.

1 Like