Get rid of added ghosting from 120hz, without black frame insertion?

I’m using a CRT monitor at 85hz and want smooth scrolling, the easy solution would of course be setting the monitor to 60hz, but I’m too sensitive to the flickering. I instead created a 120hz resolution for emulation and after a Google search, changed the swap interval to 2 in RetroArch to get everything smooth. The problem is, there is visible frame doubling / ghosting when using 120hz. I know black frame insertion will fix the problem, but then where back to the flickering issue, so that’s a no go.

Is there any solution here?

Thanks

Windows 7, nvidia GPU.

You could try running at 120 hz with vsync disabled and audio sync enabled. It probably won’t be totally smooth, but the stutters should be pretty short and possibly less obtrusive than the ghosting.

Thanks for the suggestion, but disabling vsync didn’t remove the ghosting, instead it just added the jittery scrolling on top of it.

1 Like

I’m looking for a solution to this problem as well. These forums are so unhelpful. One response and that is it.

File a complaint with our Customer Satisfaction Department for a full refund.

3 Likes

Don’t be a smart a**. Poor communication is a serious issue in a lot of forums and in case you didn’t know this is serious and shouldn’t be joked about. Imagine someone posting a thread and it never gets noticed and commented on and a week later it’s on the 3rd page never to be seen again.

For the record, this is easily the most helpful online community I’ve ever been a part of – but it ‘is’ a forum, and that means not every thread grabs the attention of all it’s users. That’s why there are functions like the search, to find old threads where often common questions have already been solved. Plenty of my own threads never garnered a response, but the most likely reason was no one who saw it had a helpful suggestion, not that people just didn’t feel like helping me. That’s absurd.

The people who make this program do it in their free time, for the community. We shouldn’t expect that they have the time or energy to sit down and walk everyone through their personal setup configurations. Especially when it sounds like all the possible solutions have been laid out in the thread - there’s not much that can be done if you don’t like any of the options that are available.

I can tell you for sure though, you won’t get much help anywhere in life calling people unhelpful for not having the answers you want or like. Let’s be grateful we have this software at all, let alone that there is an entire forum dedicated to it.

Also…

…C’mon.

2 Likes

I’m not exactly sure what it is you would like to be done here…

At 85Hz, the options are pretty laid out.

• You can run content at 60hz and have some flickering.
  • You can run content at 120Hz and get ghosting.
  • You can tick on black frame insertion, which will trade-off ghosting for flickering
  • You can disable vsync and get 1 of the 2 results outlined above
  • Or I guess you could try a different monitor and/or Hz rate

That’s pretty much your options, far as I can surmise. I’m not sure what it is you are expecting by resurrecting a dead thread from 15 months ago - complaining that no one responded, and then complaining that no one will give you answers.

From what I can see, all the options available have been laid out, you don’t like the results any of them produce, and you’re wanting… well that’s the part I’m not clear on.

Also, if you want people to take you seriously, maybe don’t open with an insult.

Just sayin’

1 Like