Glsl shaders display black screen under my 15khz config

Hi ! I updated my old 15khz PC* with the latest cores and Retroarch 1.7.3 for win XP 32. At start I had and error because of a missing manifest file but globally it works very well. Thank you so much I can still continue to enjoy RA on a CRT TV The online updater lacks of lot of major cores. I tried to put manually some I’ve found here http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86/latest/ and surprisingly most of them work well !

I still have two major issues

• RA refuses to start in D3D9 but launches normally in opengl… ( tried to reinstall directx 9 but do nothing)
  • Most of the glsl shaders will result as a black screen. Only few of them work, even stock shader won’t work ! :slight_smile: I also can’t load CG shaders anymore…

Is it easily fixable ? Or Do I have to find old versions of glsl shaders ( and I don’t know where to get them) ?

Thanks again for your awesome work

*win xp 32 sp3 radeon hd4850 with catalyst 14.4

Hmm, that’s weird that the stock shader would give you a black screen, since the stock shader is applied when no shaders are loaded :thinking: Can you tell a couple of them that work and a couple of them that don’t so I can see if there’s any sort of consistency?

You can try posting a log of the D3D9 failures, in case it includes anything useful.

[INFO] === Build =======================================
Capabilities: MMX MMXEXT SSE1 SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4
Built: May  4 2018
[INFO] Version: 1.7.3
[INFO] =================================================
[INFO] Environ SET_PIXEL_FORMAT: RGB565.
[INFO] Redirecting save file to "C:\Emulateurs\Retroarch\saves\.srm".
[INFO] Redirecting savestate to "C:\Emulateurs\Retroarch\states\.state".
[INFO] Version of libretro API: 1
[INFO] Compiled against API: 1
[INFO] [Audio]: Set audio input rate to: 29970.03 Hz.
[INFO] [Video]: Video @ 768x240
[INFO] [D3D]: Monitor size: 768x576.
[INFO] Setting fullscreen to 768x240 @ 60Hz on device \\.\DISPLAY1.
[ERROR] [D3D]: Renderchain could not be initialized.
[ERROR] [D3D]: Failed to initialize render chain.
[ERROR] [D3D]: Failed to init D3D.
[ERROR] [Video]: Cannot open video driver ... Exiting ...
[ERROR] Fatal error received in: "init_video()"
[ERROR] This core requires a content file, could not load content.

it will do the same thing with “non exotic” resolutions

some shaders that work in glsl lut nedi xbrz-freescale

Thanks again

that d3d error indeed looks like you don’t have the right directx, though I know you mentioned that you did install it. Can you try installing this one? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

So those are the shaders that actually work? If so, that’s weird because I would have expected nedi and xbrz-freescale, at least, to not work properly at native resolution, since they’re upscaling/interpolation shaders. What are some that you’ve tried that don’t work?

I forced the reinstallation of directx with your link but that changes nothing :confused:

Yeah that’s weird that some complex shaders work and simple “old” ones don’t. I can see that scaling shaders works since I usualy don’t use native resolutions but larger horizontal multiples like 960 or 768.

In some cases using an xbr like shader gives interesting results even on CRT ( I know i’am an Heretic :slight_smile: )

The shaders I’d like to use that don’t work

Stock, xbr, tv out

The ones I want to use that already work image adjustments, lut

If you want I’ll take some time to test a maximum of shaders to see the one that don’t work but believe me, a lot of them will display only a black screen. For example crt aperture display something and crt easymode don’t !

shrug, dunno. All I can think is driver issues :confused:

What ??!! Are you insinuating that AMD drivers could be faulty ?!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you know where I could find old versions of the glsl shaders to compare ?

you can always get them from github, but I don’t think they’re going to help you much, as they were previously just auto-converted from Cg using a script. It’s only recently that I hand-converted them and fixed a bunch of issues caused by the autoconversion.

Ok I understand, thank you for your time and support. I’ll try with older catalyst versions. But there are few chances that it will solve the problem I’m affraid Back in time I tested with windows 7 but it’s even more unstable and complicated to configure drivers and programs on it. :smiley:

Just for information.

I downgraded to 9.3 Catalyst but nothing changes. Black shaders and d3d9 refuses to start. But that would’nt help since cg shaders are disabled on the msvc2010 32 exe. They used to work on older versions of RA

By the way, why no redist files and lack of cores since some of the regular 32 bit cores still work ? Latest mame, FBA, Beetle PSX are still working if i put manualy the cores and redist files

Maybe I should consider update to a newer GPU 15khz comptatible and upgrade to windows 7… but thats another story and potentially a lot of headaches :slight_smile:

I’ve had black screen issues that were solved by hitting the windows key and then clicking back on the retroarch window

1 Like

Thanks ! I can’t test at the moment but I’ll tell if it works