Good (or best) shaders for Reicast

Hi,

I tried many CRT shaders for Reicast, especially with 3 games : Capcom vs SNK 1 and 2 , and Marvel vs Capcom 2. The one I tried were Crt Geom, Crt Royale and Crt interlaced halation. Well, none of them (maybe CRT Royale is not so bad) had a good result, the character were very pixellised. Why ? Maybe its too early and the core need improvement ? The PSX version of Capcom vs Snk 1 has a very good result with CRT Geom, why not with Reicast ?

Thanks

It’s inherent to the video resolution not because of the emulation. Because on ps1 the resolution is often 240p and on dreamcast it’s 480i there’s to much lines to render scanlines properly . But on the games you quote they used old sprites scaled twice to fit so it’s pixelated and somewhat ugly even on a real machine. CRT filters give best results on low res machines. PS2, Dreamcast, Gamecube etc… won’t match

Yeah, those are the times where they were recycling the same old stuff over and over, instead of drawing new sprites for those new consoles. Ugly on original hardware.

Many of the CRT shaders can handle 480i resolution fine but Flamex is correct that they won’t work with increased internal resolutions. That is, if you set the internal res to 640x480 or 320x240 instead of 1920x1080, the shaders should work better.

Many of the 2D fighters also used smaller sprites than the arcade or Saturn versions, so they indeed looked pretty crummy on a real Dreamcast.

Thanks for answer and happy new year.

This is a convenient topic because I’ve been having a problem with Reicast where it just straight up won’t work properly with any shaders period. For some reason, if I have any shaders active at all, the screen just appears as a big, blank rectangle that changes colors but does nothing more. The weird part is that if I activate the Retroarch pause menu, I can clearly see the emulator working just fine with the shaders through my transparent wallpaper, and I can even take screenshots that come out perfectly. So it’s almost as if the emulator will only work with shaders when it thinks I’m not looking.

@Claus Contraption Try changing settings > core > hw shared context to ON and see if that solves it for you.

Changing that setting does indeed solve the problem of making Reicast work with shaders, but unfortunately, it causes other, new problems with games now slowing down and crashing (regardless of if there are any shaders active or not).

Here’s a command log in case that might tell you anything. Retroarch Reicast command log 1.txt (12.4 KB)

I fixed the aa-shader-4.o and now it works perfectly with any internal res. So, it’s the best shader to work with core that allow High Internal Res. To use it, just load the preset inside anti-aliasing folder.

Here are some screenshots at 2x internal res:

Thanks Hyllian,

I will try. I m a big fan of your shaders

A bit late but you can try to reduce the resolution to 240p with the 1st shader pass, the result can be interesting:

Capcom vs SNK 2 pic 1 / pic 2

Can’t really save poor Morrigan but she’s getting better. :frowning:

I’m using blurs/blur3resize-horizontal.cg here in 1st pass. It’s just a bit too blurry to my taste but blur2 is too pixelated…

@Hunterk or anyone that would know: Did you notice the image is cut in 2 parts when scaled down by a 240p pass?

Here is an example: it happens in the diagonal between the red bars I’ve drawn.

It’s easier to spot when you’re moving, particularly in the bottom right. The left part of the picture is approximated 1 pixel up, the right part 1 pixel down, separated by that diagonal.

Can we avoid that? A filter_linear0 = “true” just gave me a black screen, integer scale doesn’t help…

Instead of shrinking it with the stock shader, try something like bicubic.

Good tip thanks, bicubic fixed that indeed. But it messes up the low res sprites here.

After many tests, didn’t find anything better than sabr as resizing pass…

Thanks Tatsuya79, I updated my shaders but I cant find the one you use in Blur section ? Where did you find it ?

[QUOTE=hostile1975;47307]Thanks Tatsuya79, I updated my shaders but I cant find the one you use in Blur section ? Where did you find it ?[/QUOTE] I was using shaders/blurs/blur3resize-horizontal.cg with: scale_type_y0 = “absolute” scale_y0 = “240”

then the CRT pass.

For the other variant that’s shaders\sabr\shaders\sabr-v1.1.cg Reicast internal res at 640x480.

I’ll check GTU.

Couldn’t get what I wanted from GTU: it’s a bit too smooth and shows the resizing bug if reduced.

But I found the perfect shader I was looking for! That’s AntiAliased Nearest Neighbor in retro/shaders/aan.cg.

That’s like stock without the resizing issue, just like the name implies. Then the CRT pass can do the remaining work.

Nice, I will try

I combined the aan shader with CRT Hyllian 3d and I love the result. Of course, its very subjective. Thanks again Tatsuya

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;47327]Couldn’t get what I wanted from GTU: it’s a bit too smooth and shows the resizing bug if reduced.

But I found the perfect shader I was looking for! That’s AntiAliased Nearest Neighbor in retro/shaders/aan.cg.

That’s like stock without the resizing issue, just like the name implies. Then the CRT pass can do the remaining work.[/QUOTE]

What did you use in conjunction with aann.cg?