[Guide] Play Neo Geo CD games using FBNeo

Got everything in the right place. Keep getting failed to load content. Tried about different bios. Still nothing. Trying to run neo drift CD.

Got everything in the right place. Keep getting failed to load content. Tried multiple bios still nothing FBA will load regular neo Geo fine.

Working for me. Keep in mind, as the guide above says it may fail the first time you load the game, but it works the second time (assuming you have all the right files). You could also try it from the command line to see what errors you get.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but for me? 100% simply because I can lol. Honestly, 90% of my fun with retro-games these days is tinkering around with my build. I so rarely sit down and ‘play’ a game - god knows the last time I even finished a game.

It’s fun, it’s interesting, in the process I learn more about the system, it’s history, it’s design, so on and so forth…

Though, I can’t do anything with this particular core for NGCD until it supports chd :frowning: I got space issues. (Someone needs to make a portable 6TB drive already lol)

1 Like

I’m on Android. Anyway to execute the command?

Not an easy way unfortunately:

Is it possible that neo Geo CD loading on retroarch FBA core on Android is broken?

2 tips that might help people having issues with subsystems :

• make sure your RA is up to date, loading subsystems wasn’t working properly through the UI until recently
  • @anon24419061 mentioned on discord that loading subsystems might choke if content_directory is not properly set in retroarch.cfg.

Hey guys,

I am struggling to get Neo GEO CD games to work in Retroarch. I’ve followed this tutorial to the “T” on two different machines and simply cannot get the GUI interface to load the Neo GEO bios. If I run it from the command line it will run fine and it even displays the number of track files for the games, but when I click “start” it says wait a moment and never does anything. I’ve confirmed my bios set is correct, along with the games in the proper format. Is there any other recommendations to try?

following this guide to the “T” should make the game playable. only reasons that this wouldn’t is that:

1- you are using an older fbalpha core… 2-you are using an older retroarch version for the system you are playing 3-incompatible cd image format, probably something wrong with cue sheet, or paths 4-in some reasons, subsystem just dont work correctly in the platform you are using in on.

no logs and no details of system wont give a faster diagnosis

As i already said, make sure your RA is up-to-date (latest nightly), several gui subsystem issues were solved a weeks ago.

1 Like

You were spot-on, it was the subsystem issue and a new nightly update fixed it. I can’t get it to load through the rgui no matter what I try, but from a command prompt it works just fine.

Ty again.

Ok. Finally got neo geo cd working on Android after days of fiddling. What I did was put neogeo.zip, neocd.zip and neocdz.zip in the system folder. Then I downloaded the mame core (not numbered and fully up to date). Then I made a folder in the system folder called mame, then a folder inside of that called hash, with files neogeo.xml and neocd.xml in it. Then I download my chd file, I made folder called neocdz folder anywhere. Put all 3 bios in that folder also. Then make a folder in neocdz with the proper chd software name. My game is neo driftout so my folder is called neodrift. I put my properly named .chd file in there.

neo driftout (1996)(visco)(jp)[!].chd

Last thing I did was make a empty properly named .zip file called neodrift.zip and put it in my neocdz folder. Launch neodrift.zip with mame core and your good to go. Everything works including music.

1 Like

I did all tutorials’s steps but It does not work. Load the bios screen with neogeo cd logo, show track selection menu but is not launching the game. I have tried cue+iso , cue + bin, cue +img … Any thoughts?

My method above I also tested on windows and it worked perfectly too. You can convert your cue/bin/wavs to chd with chdman.

1 Like

You just switched to using MAME instead of using FBA though, unless I’m misreading your previous post. Had me intrigued for a second there when you were mentioning chd.

Yeah I couldn’t get FBA to work for me, I did try, but I kept getting different errors with FBA over and over. MAME was simply enough and I got it to load everything I’ve thrown at it so far.

good for you, but this is an FBAlpha thread though…

i don’t know hard you tried but i get my neogeocd working so far ( i dont have much, only exclusives, uhm… iron clad…)

Might as well mention it : an issue in fbalpha neocd implementation was fixed today (https://github.com/barry65536/FBAlpha/issues/12), it was preventing some sfx from working.

2 Likes

Might as well warn you : fbalpha ngcd support is undergoing a massive rewrite upstream :

• cue/iso/wav format will be dropped (maybe it’ll come back later, maybe not)
  • ccd/sub/img (trurip) and cue/bin (redump) will be supported instead.
4 Likes