Help using android tv box

So i have an android tv box that is running android 6.0 OS. Ive loaded retroarch on to the box but i cant seem to click on anything or use a keyboard to make a selection of any kind. I’ve tried clicking on the settings button but the app doesnt seem to want to respond to any keyboard and mouse commands.

The only luck i was able to find was with a SNES bluetooth controller that i have. I was able to use the left and right trigger to move the curser up and down. However it would skip over the important settings that i want to change. And i have no way to get to the settings button.

Has anyone experienced this and maybe know what to do? Im at a complete loss on this one.

I downloaded the same app on my phone and was able to select everything via touchscreen but i dont have that option on the tv box. I also reinstalled it a few times from different sources and always the same problem.

Thanks in advance

The default android GUI is not really meant for any input from anything but a touchscreen.

If you can get your controller to jump around to the settings tab, and select the “driver” settings, and then manage to select the “menu driver” option, change that to either XMB or Rgui, both of those are intended to work with controller or keyboard input.

If you can’t do that, you’ll likely have to manually edit the retroarch.cfg file which is located in ~/Android/data/com.retro arch

You’ll have to scroll through and find the menu_driver setting and replace what comes after the = with “xmb” or “rgui” (without the quotation marks, of course)

The default glui menu can be navigated with gamepads and android TV remotes. Which device is it, exactly?

Shows you what I know…

But you’ll love XMB once you can get it turned on, it’s beautiful.

[QUOTE=korokinopio;47863]Shows you what I know…

But you’ll love XMB once you can get it turned on, it’s beautiful.[/QUOTE] lol no worries! And yeah, XMB is really great. It’s the default on the Shield ATV set-top box.

Its a nexbox A95x pro.

I tried it with a game pad and wasnt able to navigate and i just tried the remote the box came with and no luck as well. I’ll try to change the config file as soon as i find a program that can open it within android.

Thanks for the help guys. I’ll let you know when and if i can figure it out

Update: i was able to change the config file to XMB, ans while it looks pretty i am still unable to control it.

One thing i can note it that there are 2 cursers on the screen. a small white one that sits in the top corner, and a larger black one that i have control over but can’t click the settings with. Keyboard commands seem to do nothing.

Is there another setting i should be looking to change? It it possible there might be some sort of overlay that is interfering?

First of all, what controller are you using and does it work in any other programma / andoid laucnher. You could navigate using a mouse…normally a remote should work even if it is not configured by Retroarch

The controller im using is a 8Bitdo SNES30 bluetooth controller. It works for everything in the menus, kodi, and any of the other apps i have. I have also tried both wired and wireless keyboard and mouse. Both work fine in the other menus.

Is there a way for me to load cores from another device and maybe transfer them to this one after?

That pad should be autoconfigured:

I wonder if it’s not getting the autoconfig profiles installed for some reason…

It says in the bottom of the screen that its configured. But it still wont allow me to move for some reason I figured that i need to set up the buttons correctly or something

Its really strange.

If it says it’s configured properly, it should definitely work. I wonder if that second mouse indicates that something else is grabbing priority somehow.

If he tried manual config first, autoconfig won’t work for the keys he configured. Best is to clear cache and start fresh until the joypad is configured properly and then start messing around with the rest.

Both Android Marshmallow and RetroArch are to blame for these issues,if there was a way to make a general autoconfig come with RA,please do. The idea would be to take the global input commands for Android that are used by any keyboard or joystick you connect to it,that way it would be impossible for it to be missing input at all,and that’s if its even possible.

Do you think this would work better with 5.1 or even 4.4?

Been having the same problem with my nexbox a95x which led me here. First I managed to get it working by installing an older version of retroarch and took my retroarch.cfg from my GPDXD as its configured for xbox360 wireless controller and rgui menu. I also found another way and that was flashing my nexbox a95x with custom firmware ‘minim8s ii’ which is rooted. This worked with latest retroarch and keyboard worked in menus and also configured my controller from the settings menu.

http://bbs.huiontablet.com/thread-163-1-1.html

Hi, I have the same problem of menu navigation.

I’ve taken an AndroidTV box “LESHP” , it has Amlogic S912, 3GB of RAM Android 7.1.

I tried with its remote controller, usb mouse and keyboard, Trustmaster gamepad, Rii Mini i8+ Wireless keyboard (it comes with its own wifi dongle). None of the input device i tried is working, I can’t navigate the RetroArch menu.

Using some of the the remote button I get "100% Android Gamepad (1/1) not configured, using fallback. Using some of the Rii Mini i8+ (volume controls) I get "100% Android Gamepad (6551/9267) not configured, using fallback.

I’ve tried to modify the 8Bitdo_24G_SF30_USB.cfg file, with the following tentatives: input_vendor_id = “1” input_product_id = “1”

input_vendor_id = “6551” input_product_id = “9267”

input_vendor_id = “9267” input_product_id = “6551”

I got no success.

RetroArch apk(s) I’ve tried are 1.7.0 (Android store and Libretro forum), 1.7.0 nightly (06-Jan-17), and one 1.6.x version. No success with this.

Can you plesae help?

Not sure if the problem is in the TV Box or in the input devices I’ve used, thinking baout sending back the tv box to Amazon.

Thanks in advance.

Just replying to this thread as I found a solution that works for me - I had the same issue.

Installed Retroarch 1.7.1 on an Android box, installed fine and found that when I started it, I couldn’t get any input (mouse, keyboard, joypad)

I eventually used adblink to get into the box and grabbed the retroarch.cfg file from: /sdcard/Android/data/com.retroarch/files/retroarch.cfg

I essentially started by deleting the entire config file, then put just this entry in:

menu_driver = “xmb”

Then restarted Retroarch. That changed the menu driver and re-wrote the default config. I reopened the config and changed the following:

menu_mouse_enable = "true"
all_users_control_menu = "true"
menu_unified_controls = "true"

I noted that the following folder did not exist on my machine:

/storage/emulated/0/RetroArch

so I changed all instances of that in the config file to the folder that did exist for my machine:

/mnt/sdcard/RetroArch

Then restarted Retroarch and my keyboard control worked.

1 Like

Hello there!

I am trying to use retroach but it is impossible to me, i have made all the things you say here. The arrows of my keyboard are working but not another button so i can´t use retroarch because the “Enter” is not working.

Can you help me please??

All my other gamepads, are not working it says, using fallback and that´s all :frowning:

I send attached the two images, please anyone can help me?

Modify retroarch.cfg :menu_driver =“xmb” :face_with_raised_eyebrow: