Horizontal Scroll Juddering & Not Smooth

I have noticed when playing Alisia Dragoon for the Megadrive on the intro where the stone painting scrolls across the screen, that the scrolling is very jerky and not smooth. I have a 144hz G-Sync monitor and am wondering if thats causing the issue!?.

I have uploaded my log file for RA and a video to show the issue

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DUTuk0Pcima_8FXYEtRcKftBPKOGtV4E/view?usp=sharing

any ideas?

Could be the game. Try using the 240p test suite’s scrolling test instead, as it’s a known-smooth scroll.

It still seems to do it on 240p Test…

Yeah, that’s skippy alright. What are your settings? Are you running at 144 Hz? 120? Something else?

Yeah im at 144hz

I deleted the current cfg file for RA and used the default cfg and everything was smooth again,i slowly started to enable all my settings again and i think ive pinpointed the issue. It seems to be related to the Audio driver being set to wasapi and then lowering the audio latency, if you get the audio crackling noise that seem to set of the frame judder and after than im unable to get smooth scrolling back even if setting the audio latency back to 64 ms.

Hmmm something is certainly up, this is using a default RA cfg file i have changed no settings…

it doesnt even appear to be running 60fps does it? and theres an ever so slight skip every now and then

Yeah, you’ll never get smooth scrolling at 144 Hz. You’ll need to set it to 120 Hz. Also, xaudio2 should be fine for 16 ms or even lower latency.

I only seem to have xaudio not xaudio2?

Can i leave the monitor at 144hz and force RA to 120hz in the settings somewhere?, or do i have to set the monitor to 120hz?

You should be able to set video_refresh_rate to 120 and RetroArch will try to use it when you enter exclusive fullscreen. And yeah, xaudio is what I meant.

Ok great ill give that a go, i still want vsync enabled right?

Can i make a request for a future update, the ability to adding certain values for options via the keypad, so rather than having to hold up and down (which is great for fine tuning) to change the value if you could just enter in the value you want