I need a REAL complete MAME ROM set. Please help

Hi everyone,

I have downloaded various so called complete MAME ROM sets but the majority of the games do not work. The dreaded ‘missing ROM or CHD images’ message appears. Many old games say from 1983 work just fine.

I mainly want to play Capcom CPS1 and CPS2 games. I would like the complete collection.

Is there really a complete ROM set out there with all the required files for all of the games to run properly?

Thanks.

huh… good luck not getting banned asking for roms…

1 Like

Yeah, we can’t help you find ROMs. As far as we’re concerned you own everything you play and dump them from your own copies in accordance with your local laws.

Yeah Hunter. The Spanish law of legal use of MAME arcade ROMS. I’m sure there is one in every country!! Is there one in yours?

1 Like

If you follow this guide you will know which arcade romset collection to use with each of the arcade emulation cores: https://docs.libretro.com/guides/arcade-getting-started/

First you must understand how mame and rom sets works, here es a useful link to explains that.

https://choccyhobnob.com/demystifying-mame-roms/

then you will know what version of mame/rom you need to run; good luck looking for your your roms as nobody here can help you with that.

I have found the solution. A not so popular resource which is difficult to find with a regular Google search. No nonsense precise information. Rare on the internet!! Wouldn´t you agree?

1 Like

It’s rare, and often spoke about in cryptic ways because it’s illegal in basically any use-case unless you are using your own personal copies - that you yourself copied - from your own original. At least in the US. Quite honestly, the only thing that has kept the emulation community online so strong is a near lack of enforcement.

That’s why everyone lost their mind a few months back when Nintendo sued one particular site into oblivion, and then several other major resources voluntarily shut their doors. It was almost unheard of for it to be enforced to that degree.

(Frankly, I blame the rise of the Raspberry Pi device. Everybody and their grandma’s dog was selling them outright with the pre-filled libraries, and when Nintendo tried to make it’s own version the LOUD consensus was “that’s stupid, just build a pi and download the roms”. …way to stay on the down low people…)

It’s simple really and it needs only two minutes of study. You need a set of ROMS with all the required files. Nothing more. Nothing less. The internet is awash with pointless information. Why complicate matters? I’ve just purchased the chips from all arcade games 1981-1997 on eBay for 297000 GBP. I HAVE THE COMPLETE SET!!

obviously a new user like me. Try and be a little empathetic for us newbies.

Spanish law might be ok with that, but retroarch has to abide buy the law in its host country, and anywhere it can be accessed. Just look at what happened to emuparadise. gooooone. It best for retroarch to steer issues that can be sketchy away from the site.

I think that this thread should just list “thread removed for violating rules” and move on

Oh but he bought all the boards, it’s all good. People around here are never willing to help, don’t pay attention to all their pompous legal talk. This is a bit of a secret place, please don’t tell anyone else about it. Download MAME Full Set

Thanks for posting this inquiry Andrew! I too am trying to locate a full functional set and am well aware of the rules on this.

I would be curious how you found the info.

Can you please PM me and advise?

The only way to confirm you have a “complete” set is to scan/build it with an audit tool like ClrMamePro or RomVault.

Personally I use romvault. Dump all you files into a folder and supply it with a dat file and it will build you the complete set, providing you have all the files. Finding the files is pretty easy with google. Mame dat files are easily found http://www.progettosnaps.net/dats/MAME/