Issue with Medefen Retroarch and Rocketlauncher

Error: ScriptError - There was an error waiting for the window “RetroArch ahk_class RetroArch”. Please check you have the correct version emulator installed for this module, followed any notes in the module, and have this emulator working outside your Frontend first. Also turn off Fade to see if you are hiding your problem.

I am getting this error when I try to use Retroarch to boot PS1 games with Medefen on about HALF of my library. The other half loads fine. For example - Wild Arms 1 works, Wild Arms 2 (multi disc) does not.

I do not get this error AT ALL when I load games straight from Retroarch (unzipped). I also do NOT get this error if I use the Medefen emulator, and not RA’s front end version.

This is leading me to believe there is some issue with the plugin and with extracted files. To further this sentiment, I used an old version (1.3.6 - which is RL’s module version) and couldn’t get ANY game to work after extraction.

So is this just a compatibility issue with 1.7.5 and 7z? Or do you think this is more a RL module issue?

Thoughts?

Have you tried extracting any of the ones that don’t work?

Every game works fine extracted and loaded directly from RA.

There is something going on during the extraction process that is causing the crash. I was reading some other threads and it seems to maybe have to do with when it’s renamed to the m3u.

What I don’t understand is why RA Mede and the real Mede handle this problem differently. The real emulator has no problem with it, the RA version does.

IIRC, RA+beetle-psx doesn’t handle multi-file archives, as it extracts and runs the cue but there’s no matching bin (because it’s still in the archive).

Let’s take a look at how these two different modules approach extracting my rom.

Retroarch Module:

23:29:33:582 | MD |     DEBUG  | +0     | 7z - Found file in R:\Hyperspin Cache\Xenogears (USA) (Disc 1)\Xenogears (USA) (Disc 1)\Xenogears (USA) (Disc 1).cue
23:29:33:583 | MD |   WARNING  | +0     | 7z - romPath changed from "R:\Arcade\Sony Playstation\roms" to "R:\Hyperspin Cache\Xenogears (USA) (Disc 1)\Xenogears (USA) (Disc 1)"
23:29:33:584 | MD |   WARNING  | +0     | 7z - romName changed from "Xenogears (USA) (Disc 1)" to "Xenogears (USA) (Disc 1)"
23:29:33:585 | MD |   WARNING  | +0     | 7z - romExtension changed from ".rar" to ".cue"
23:29:33:586 | MD |      INFO  | +0     | 7z - Ended
23:29:33:587 | MD |     TRACE  | +0     | File.__New - Creating new file object of: "R:\Hyperspin Cache\Xenogears (USA) (Disc 1)\Xenogears (USA) (Disc 1)\[U]Xenogears (USA).m3u"[/U]

vs

Medafen Module:

00:05:13:752 | MD |     DEBUG  | +0     | 7z - Found file in R:\Hyperspin Cache\Xenogears (USA) (Disc 1)\Xenogears (USA) (Disc 1)\Xenogears (USA) (Disc 1).cue
00:05:13:753 | MD |   WARNING  | +0     | 7z - romPath changed from "R:\Arcade\Sony Playstation\roms" to "R:\Hyperspin Cache\Xenogears (USA) (Disc 1)\Xenogears (USA) (Disc 1)"
00:05:13:754 | MD |   WARNING  | +0     | 7z - romName changed from "Xenogears (USA) (Disc 1)" to [U]"Xenogears (USA) (Disc 1)"[/U]
00:05:13:755 | MD |   WARNING  | +0     | 7z - romExtension changed from ".rar" to ".cue"
00:05:13:756 | MD |      INFO  | +0     | 7z - Ended

Is it possible to get RetroArch corrected to load the games the way the Medafen Emulator does? Because that emulator does NOT have problems with multigames being zipped. Yet, RA is supposed to just be a front end for Medafen??

I’m not sure if RetroArch is the problem, or the RL Module is how it approaches 7z.

Nope. Mednafen has its own CLI-based frontend, it’s just very barebones, so people use launchers with it to simplify some things.

RetroArch is a libretro frontend, and we ported the same emulation cores that are integrated into Mednafen to the libretro API, which allows them to use RetroArch as their frontend instead of Mednafen.

Since archive handling is a frontend task, RetroArch and Mednafen handle them differently, hence your issue. We don’t currently support launching multi-file disk images from archives.

Thanks for the information. I’ll just unzip them OR switch emulators for now.

Hope RA can get this feature working in the future. Mednafen is imo, the best option we have right now for PS1.