Issue with retroarch

I install retroarch ps3 mame crash and freeze and for shaders not work at all :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

MAME crashes are usually caused by having the wrong ROMs. They need to match the version of MAME that you’re trying to run (I think PS3 uses MAME2003, which is equivalent to v0.078).

Many of the shaders broke at some point but quite a few should still work. I believe Hyllian made a thread here on the forum with a list/collection of working ones.

1 Like

Another issue might be that ps3 has a ppc big endian cpu (aka dead technology for the general public nowaday), i’m not sure the mame codebase from 2003 handled it in each of its driver, at the very least i know a number of drivers in fbalpha still have issues with big endian, debugging this is a time consuming process which needs precise reports, step-by-step, on a per-game basis.

The fact this technology may never be of use to the general public ever again makes things worse (basically it means doing tons of work on something that will be useless in a few years, because those old devices using ppc cpu aren’t eternal)

1 Like