Kronos and Reicast Arcade Games (a few issues)

I’ve been trying the arcade versions of some games, for example, House of the Dead 2 (Naomi), Virtua Fighter Remix and Tecmo World Cup 98 (both ST-V).

HOTD2 works well, but I’d like to know if there’s a way to show the crosshair like Sega Model 2 does for HOTD?

Tecmo World Cup 98 isn’t loading, black screen, on MAME (also via Retroarch), it loads but then it crashes the core, could this be a rom issue? I’m sure I got the latest version of MAME roms, 0.206.

Virtua Fighters Remix for ST-V seems to be working fine, except it doesn’t accept any input, even from the keyboard, other games using Kronos for ST-V are working fine, I only tested a few though.

1 Like

I’ll take a look at those issues when i have some time, most likely this week-end.

Afaik the crosshair might be a hack in the Sega Model 2 renderer, i don’t think original hardware played with lightguns had that kind of feature (that’s basically cheating :stuck_out_tongue: ), maybe @flyinghead can confirm there is (or isn’t) something like this on naomi.

1 Like

Nice! Yeah, the crosshair is totally simulated, this is good for those who will play using a gamepad, otherwise the game isn’t playable at all. I actually can control where to shoot using the left stick and press X or A to fire, the only problem really is the lack of crosshair.

Thanks for taking the time to check those and let me know if there’s a specific place where I can post issues like above for Kronos!

Most Naomi light gun games will only show where you shot on the screen, but won’t display a permanent crosshair. For instance, only the console version of Death Crimson OX will display a permanent crosshair and only when you play with a gamepad, but not when using a light gun.

I have a guess about the issue with vfremix and twcup98, i opened an issue about it (https://github.com/FCare/Kronos/issues/440).

1 Like

@flyinghead yeah we know the crosshair is never shown on a real lightgun game. Most cores for other systems, though, allow you to enable the option of drawing a lightgun cross on the screen which follows the movement where you’re aiming at.

Beetlepsx, beetlesaturn, bsnes, snes9x, fceumm, genesisplusgx… even mame does it by default for lightgun games.

It would be great if you could add this as an option for reicast. I have a great experience playing these lightgun games on reicast core, I control the lightgun movement with my sixaxis DS4 gyroscope which works great, but I don’t see where I’m aiming at.

Greetings.

Any news about this? After trying the latest version I still can’t get ST-V games to work properly, Virtua Fighter Remix, Die Hard Arcade, Tecmo World Cup 98, etc., the first two start OK but the game refuses to recognize any input, even from the keyboard, TWC98 won’t start. Also, why does Kronos flicker when I try a shader? The GPU is a GTX1660ti.

Extreme Hunting Lightgun I can’t get going as the Lightgun Buttons don’t work

Kronos can see all bios it needs to load ST-V or Saturn games, but for some months it tries loading a ST-V game as a Saturn one, the Japanese Saturn bios shows up, instead of the ST-V patent thing, the game will never start. Has something changed in Kronos regarding its arcade side? In the core info, it also says it supports CHD, which I didn’t know until now, but the games won’t start so I’m assuming that it actually doesn’t support it, right?

Not sure what’s your issue, it works perfectly here, anything in logs ? From looking at my code, if you see the saturn bios, it means the zip you are trying to open isn’t detected as a st-v game, so wrong extension (zip expected, it seems case sensitive) or wrong content (we aren’t checking crcs, just filenames, matching is done against this list : https://github.com/FCare/Kronos/blob/extui-align/yabause/src/stv.c).

It’s possibly something on my end, I just need to figure out what is it. I have my Arcade roms in 7z format, but I also tried a zipped twc98.zip with stvbios.zip (kronos directory under system), but it just tried loading as a Saturn game even saying it found the bios.

It seems Retroarch supports 7z natively, all cores but kronos work with this without any issue.

I have a log here but it probably won’t tell much: https://pastebin.com/srCqnHjC

That’s a misunderstanding, what it supports is uncompressing on the fly to provide the uncompressed content (single file only) to the core, a behavior we have to disable in all cores relying on compressed roms. Kronos doesn’t support 7z, only zip.

This game doesn’t exist : http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/lista_mame.php?ricerca=twc98&arcade_only=0&lang=en

7z roms work for MAME and all other cores which relies on rom files, Kronos is the only exception, but I’d be OK if it loads the zip file, it was only the pack that was in 7z, I didn’t know it would have issues somehow. The actuall zip name is twcup98.zip:

The core is the one reading the 7z file, uncompressing by frontend has to be disabled by the core, otherwise the frontend would provide one file at random from the compressed file to the core, and the core wouldn’t accept it.

This game works for me, maybe you have the wrong romsets ?

1 Like

Both files (game and ST-V bios) are from 0.212 version of MAME. I’ll check what’s going on later.

0.212 romsets should be ok, also i did an overstatement : twcup98 launch properly but freeze after the stv boot screens.

This game and other ST-V games run fine on MAME, I mean, boot and reach gameplay, some are full speed, but most of the 3D games like this one is slow, really slow. I remember I tried this one some time ago and I actually played it in Kronos (I’m not 100% sure of it), Virtua Fighter Remix booted fine but didn’t accept any input in Kronos, even from the keyboard. But the ones that booted and played in Kronos were mostly full speed, the demo for VF Remix was full speed, if a little buggy, some garbage in the 3D scenes, other games played mostly fine without any noticeable issue.

I have same issue as aorin1 I confirmed that twcup98 runs fine with MAME2016 core However, when I tried to play with Kronos core, retorarch loads Saturn bios and crash. I believe retroarch should load ST-V but somehow it thinks its Saturn game

[INFO] Updating firmware status for: C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\cores\kronos_libretro.dll on C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\system [WARN] Firmware missing: kronos/saturn_bios.bin [WARN] Firmware missing: kronos/stvbios.zip [INFO] Using content: C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\downloads\twcup98.zip. [INFO] arg #0: retroarch [INFO] arg #1: C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\downloads\twcup98.zip [INFO] arg #2: -s [INFO] arg #3: C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\saves [INFO] arg #4: -S [INFO] arg #5: C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\states [INFO] arg #6: -c [INFO] arg #7: C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\retroarch.cfg [INFO] arg #8: -L [INFO] arg #9: C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\cores\kronos_libretro.dll [INFO] arg #10: -v [INFO] Content ran for a total of: 00 hours, 00 minutes, 00 seconds. [INFO] Unloading game… [INFO] Unloading core… [INFO] Unloading core symbols… [INFO] [Video]: Does not have enough samples for monitor refresh rate estimation. Requires to run for at least 4096 frames. [INFO] Set config file to : C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\retroarch.cfg [INFO] RetroArch 1.8.2 (Git b6a45645d8) [INFO] Redirecting save file to “C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\saves\twcup98.srm”. [INFO] Redirecting savestate to “C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\states\twcup98.state”. [INFO] === Build ======================================= [INFO] CPU Model Name: Intel® Core™ i7-6850K CPU @ 3.60GHz [INFO] Capabilities: MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4 SSE4.2 AES AVX [INFO] Built: Dec 25 2019 [INFO] Version: 1.8.2 [INFO] Git: b6a45645d8 [INFO] ================================================= [INFO] Loading dynamic libretro core from: “C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\cores\kronos_libretro.dll” [INFO] [Overrides] no core-specific overrides found at C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\config\Kronos\Kronos.cfg. [INFO] [Overrides] no content-dir-specific overrides found at C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\config\Kronos\downloads.cfg. [INFO] [Overrides] no game-specific overrides found at C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\config\Kronos\twcup98.cfg. [INFO] [Environ]: GET_LANGUAGE: “0”. [INFO] [Environ]: RETRO_ENVIRONMENT_SET_CORE_OPTIONS_INTL. [INFO] [Environ]: SET_CONTROLLER_INFO. [INFO] [Remaps]: remap directory: C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\config\remaps [INFO] Redirecting save file to “C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\saves\twcup98.srm”. [INFO] Redirecting savestate to “C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\states\twcup98.state”. [INFO] [Environ]: GET_LOG_INTERFACE. [INFO] [Environ]: GET_PERF_INTERFACE. [INFO] [Environ]: SYSTEM_DIRECTORY: “C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\system”. [INFO] [Environ]: PERFORMANCE_LEVEL: 16. [INFO] Content loading skipped. Implementation will load it on its own. [libretro WARN] C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\system\kronos\stvbios.zip NOT FOUND [libretro WARN] C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\system\kronos\saturn_bios.bin NOT FOUND [libretro WARN] C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\system\saturn_bios.bin NOT FOUND [INFO] [Environ]: SET_PIXEL_FORMAT: XRGB8888. [INFO] [Environ]: SET_HW_RENDER. [INFO] Requesting core OpenGL context (3.3). [INFO] [RCHEEVOS]: ext_hash 0b88c7d8 (‘zip’) [INFO] Skipping SRAM load… [INFO] Version of libretro API: 1 [INFO] Compiled against API: 1 [INFO] [RCHEEVOS]: Load task finished [INFO] [Cheats]: Load game-specific cheatfile: C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\cheats\Kronos\twcup98.cht [INFO] [Audio]: Set audio input rate to: 44100.00 Hz. [INFO] [Video]: Video @ 960x720 [INFO] [Video]: Using HW render, OpenGL driver forced. [INFO] [Video]: “d3d11” saved as cached driver. [INFO] [Video]: Forcing “glcore” driver. [INFO] [GLCore]: Found GL context: wgl [INFO] [GLCore]: Detecting screen resolution 1920x1080. [INFO] [WGL] extensions: WGL_ARB_extensions_string WGL_ARB_pixel_format WGL_ATI_pixel_format_float WGL_ARB_pixel_format_float WGL_ARB_multisample WGL_EXT_swap_control WGL_EXT_swap_control_tear WGL_ARB_pbuffer WGL_ARB_render_texture WGL_ARB_make_current_read WGL [INFO] [WGL]: Adaptive VSync supported. [INFO] [WGL]: wglSwapInterval(1) [INFO] [GLCore]: Initializing HW render (1024 x 1024). [INFO] [GLCore]: Max texture size: 16384 px, renderbuffer size: 16384 px. [INFO] [GLCore]: Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc., Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series. [INFO] [GLCore]: Version: 4.5.13399 Compatibility Profile Context 15.201.1151.1008. [INFO] [GLCore]: Using resolution 960x720 [INFO] [DINPUT]: Enumerating joypads … [INFO] [DINPUT]: Done enumerating joypads … [INFO] [Joypad]: Found joypad driver: “dinput”. [INFO] [GLCore]: Loading stock shader. [INFO] [slang]: Building pass #0 (N/A) [INFO] [slang]: Reflection [INFO] [slang]: Textures: [INFO] [slang]: Source (#0) [INFO] [slang]: [INFO] [slang]: Uniforms (Vertex: yes, Fragment: no): [INFO] [slang]: Push Constants (Vertex: no, Fragment: no): [INFO] [slang]: MVP (Offset: 0) [INFO] [slang]: [INFO] [slang]: Parameters: [INFO] [GLCore]: Not using frame history. [INFO] [GLCore]: Not using framebuffer feedback. [INFO] [Font]: Using font rendering backend: freetype. [INFO] [Video]: Found display server: win32 [libretro ERROR] Yabause: Error reading file: C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\downloads\twcup98.zip [libretro ERROR] Yabause: Cannot initialize ISO-File Virtual Drive [libretro INFO] Using OpenGL 4.5 [libretro INFO] Saturn Emulation mode [INFO] [Environ]: SET_GEOMETRY. [INFO] [XAudio2]: Requesting 64 ms latency, using 64 ms latency. [INFO] [Menu]: Found menu display driver: “glcore”. [INFO] [Font]: Using font rendering backend: freetype. [INFO] [Font]: Using font rendering backend: freetype. [INFO] [Font]: Using font rendering backend: freetype. [INFO] [Font]: Using font rendering backend: freetype. [INFO] [LED]: LED driver = ‘null’ 0000000000B9AF20 [INFO] [MIDI]: Initializing … [INFO] [MIDI]: Input disabled. [INFO] [MIDI]: Output disabled. [INFO] [MIDI]: Initialized “winmm” driver. [INFO] Loading history file: [C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\content_history.lpl]. [INFO] Loading history file: [C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\content_music_history.lpl]. [INFO] Loading history file: [C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\content_video_history.lpl]. [INFO] Loading history file: [C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\content_image_history.lpl]. [INFO] Loading favorites file: [C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\content_favorites.lpl]. [INFO] [GLCore]: VSync => on [INFO] [WGL]: wglSwapInterval(1) [INFO] Written to playlist file: C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\RetroArch\content_history.lpl [INFO] [Environ]: SET_INPUT_DESCRIPTORS: [INFO] SET_GEOMETRY: 320x224, aspect: 1.333.

Did you read your logs ? How is that supposed to happen when you never provided the bios ? Also, next time you post logs, copy/paste them at pastebin, or learn about formatting on this forum. Reading those logs without formatting was so painful that i might have missed half of the issues.