Latest Lakka has issues restarting content in PCSX Rearmed

I upgraded from 1.5 to the latest nightly, both as an in-place upgrade and as a fresh format+flash and both show the same issues with PCSX rearmed running on rpi2. Loading games works fine, but trying to restart the game leads to either a crash back to lakka (if using HLE bios) or to it booting the PSX bios (the japanese one, oddly) and then telling you to insert a playstation disc. Nothing out of the ordinary shows in the logs when this happens.

Normally this wouldn’t really be an issue, since you don’t need to restart games too often, but it makes it impossible to use multidisc games.

1 Like

I’ve reproduced this on x86_64 lakka using the same core. Loading games is fine, but trying to re-load them results in the core either crashing (if using HLE bios) or loading the japanese bios if using bios files.

1 Like

I’m running Libreelec 7.2.3.1 and Retroarch 7.0.2-J08 with PCSX Rearmed (r21) (r22 is super choppy for some reason) on a TV Box with Amlogic S905X chip and have the same problem. Can somebody fix this? It’s impossible to play multidisk games this way.

I don’t know anything about those versions, since they don’t seem to be related to our own versioning, but nothing has happened with that core in a while, so it’s doubtful the issue lies on our end.

Well it’s not just me https://github.com/libretro/pcsx_rearmed/issues/153

ohhh, lol, sorry, I thought your post was about the choppiness you mentioned. We frequently get posts from new users tacked onto unrelated threads because of new users not being able to make their own threads immediately. disregard!

Can nobody fix this issue? Its so annoying not to be able playing multidisk games. Especially if PCSX is the only ps1 emu which runs on this setup :frowning_face:

Actually…you’re going to have to fix and adjust your files. It has NOTHING to do with Lakka/Retroarch, and everything to do with the emulator (PCSX ReARMed and even PPSSPP and Beetle have problems with multi-disc games). Convert your files into .PBP files, and run those multi-disc games into one .PBP file (use the program PSX2PSP to do the file conversion). This is the easiest way to get around the multi-disc problem regarding games (FF VII being the most notorious example).

Sorry mate, but thats just wrong… I’ve already had converted my games to PBP files the way you described before I went back to m3u structure because of this sbi problem. However that has nothing to do with that issue. And it actually has nothing to do with disk swapping too. The issue is that restarting games in PCSX ReARMed leads you to the PSX bios. THAT is the problem because you need to restart a game after disk swapping. So its not possible to play any multidisk games. I also tried it with Mednafen PSX and both swapping disks and restarting the game works fine. However sound and video in Mednafen PSX is super choppy and games are unplayable this way. I also googled that issue but nothing worked for me. By the way I just looked for a newer version of PCXS ReARMed but it isn’t listed in buildbot.libretro.com anymore. Does anybody know what happened?

I recently flashed Lakka 2.1.1 to sd card and tested it again. I used the same bios files and the same core (from Lakka 2.1.1) for Lakka 2.1.1 and my old Retroarch setup from MXQ Project. In Lakka the bios was not japanese anymore so obviously my old Retroarch version from MXQ Project caused that issue.

However the main problem that restarting content ends up in bios still exists. In all core versions that I have found and with different Retroarch versions aswell (MXQ Project, ScottELEC 1.8.3, Sx05RE 1.8.6, Lakka 2.1.1). Its all about the “Show bios” option which is disabled by default but turns on when it comes to restarting content. I enabled this option and tested different games. All of them end up in bios not just after restart but also at initial start.

I’m not an software engineer but can’t you just copy the code for disabling bios from the initial start code to the restart code or even remove this option at all since it seems to break every game?

By the way just for the case someone wants to test it. The PCSX_Rearmed core in Lakka 2.1.1 is from 23 june 2018 and is 1073 KB big. The core which is currently on buildbot is from 26 april, is only half size from the actual core and doesn’t work at all.