MAME 2016 Keyboard controls make no sense

I’m trying to run a MAME setup with the MAME_2016 and i want to use the keyboard so i can attach it’s keys to Joytokey.

The setup is fresh, everything is defaut. I have not change anything regarding controls, not through RA or the MAME core TAB menu.

I’m testing Street Fighter 2 since it uses 6 buttons and i recognize the controls. There is one big issue though:

The player 2 buttons conflict with player 1. And when i try to re-configure them it forces extra buttons that i never told it to use. For instance, i try to configure player’s 2 button 1 to be the key “Q”. But when i press Q to attach it, it also adds a “Joy 1 Y” or something. This is forced and i can’t remove it. Even if i remove it from the default cfg and leave just the key “Q” it still forces the extra “Joy 1 Y” and in result when i press Q the player 1 also does an action.

I tried to use other buttons for player two but every time i choose one button it attaches another random one that i don’t want to. Basically, these invisible random keys cannot be disabled and will always be used, so player 2 will always use an action from player 1.

It’s very confusing and impossible to setup with the keyboard. If i only use gamepads it works fine.

Those are retropad buttons assigned to keys in RetroArch’s input config. MAME supports retrokeyboard, so when you assign inputs in it’s Tab menu, it gets both the key and the retropad input assigned to it. To avoid this double mapping, I nulled out my retropad keyboard mappings in an override config for MAME. I had to make the config manually, since input changes don’t save in override configs from the UI.

Edit: I finally fixed it.

Thanks for the help.

1 Like