Mame2014 core Trackball Linux

hi all, i just bought the Electric ICE-T Deluxe RGB Trackball from GroovyGameGear. the trackball is working in the Mame2014 core, however it gets stuck within a range of the screen area. i tried centipede and millipede also crystal castles roms, and all have issues with movement (movement gets stuck within the x and or y for a minute then breaks free and then stuck again within a box range of the screen) this trackball is a high resolution trackball i think if that matters. i prefer to use the Mame2014 core.

the only changes i made in RA was set i think game options if not core options, to enable mouse use.

so heres what i have tried so far: *Changing the Analog sensitivity and speed from [TAB] menu within Mame. *Using regular Mame version 0.197 (Linux) works perfectly. (All 3 roms from above) *Using regular mouse produces same effect

bear in mind i have made no configuration changes except enable mouse and in game analog changes via the [TAB] analog controls.

any and all help is appreciated.

doing more testing, when its not in fullscreen mode, i can see why the movement gets stuck: the mouse bounding box is goes outside of the game area. same thing in fullscreenmode, just you cant view the mouse cursor. so my issue is not with the trackball or the mouse, ive tested both. if my player gets stuck all the way right on the x axis, if i then roll the x axis all the way right to the max (which is off the game screen area) then bring it back left just under my player i regain control if this makes sense. testing a horizontal game like misslecommand it works fine because the game takes all of the screen…

does any1 have any recommendations here?

ok i think this seems to be resolved now. im using 2 monitors and i had thought my other 1 was set to disabled but it wasnt. now i have it disabled, everything seems to work as it should. is this a possible bug? (it was pausing the game because the mouse or trackball was going off the screen) (with both pressing on button and cursor being off screen, until cursor was back on screen area and button pressed)

so my now simple question is how do i map my 2 mouse buttons? im using udev and i cant seem to find a mapping for mouse buttons? so currently am using: input_player1_a_mbtn = “1” input_player1_b_mbtn = “2”

and not mapping them at all, its broken and works only when it wants to.

1 Like

That’s not really a bug, no. By default, RetroArch pauses when it loses focus. You can change that setting, though, if you want.

RetroArch doesn’t really have any mouse mapping of its own. I believe you have to map it through the core’s OSD menu.

ok, but i mean in fullscreen mode this happens aswell? (the pausing, the stuck axis’) or is just supposed to behave this way from enabling in-game mouse? (only behaves like that when i have both monitors enabled).

Even in fullscreen, if you have another monitor, it’s going to try and go over to the other monitor. I think you can try to use mouse capture with F11 to see if that will keep it in-bounds.

ok thanks. i see my very first problem is i wasnt using the udev driver, i just tested another system i have which only has 1 monitor, it had the same stuck axis problems until i switched it to udev. your right about the F11 key, however that leaves some text on the display? frameskipping or something? is there a way not have that part?

n/m just found out that was a mame-mapping @F11. thanks for your help.

1 Like