Mario kart n64 emulation: emulate screen above the tunnel 1st stage

Hi, It could be superficial but Do you know which n64 core or settings/plugins could emulate the screen above the tunnel on first stage ? I use a shield tv android. Mine is a black screen on mupen64 and i saw for example on the android emultator Mupen64Plus FZ that the screen appears with the animation of the player inside like this: index

could you give me the right core plugin and settings to have this screen above tunnel available ? thanks

Angrylion gfx plugin does it but it’s too slow for a Shield device. I think GLideN64 does it (probably what m64p-FZ is using) but I’m not sure if our mupen64plus-libretro core includes that functionality or not. It’s worth checking out.

GlideN64 emulates this effect since forever. Even the older Glide64 emulates it.

I think it’s a setting toggle though. IIRC, you have to enable framebuffer effects. Check if those are disabled, i remember this option being very demanding in some games on a Pentium 4. Man, that brings me back.

1 Like

yeah, that’s the important bit.

thanks for yours tips:

• on mupen64 plus I have enable framebuffer emulation but no effect.

• on parallel I encounter a problem because retroarch crash every time I exit so i can’t register option changed whitch stay by default each time I relaunch. annoying I have to wait a next revision of the core on android to make test without crash thanks

Can’t help you further unfortunately, it works fine here on both Mupen core and Parallel (Angrylion) but i’m using Windows. Maybe it’s an Android/Tablet/Driver issue on your part?

1 Like

Ok maybe a limitation of android, some cores as atari a800 are broken at this moment. I use a ATV shield tv android thanks

so I test the windows version of mupen64 and the screen appears normally without any configuration. so it’s again a limitation of android version. This little detail could be annoying because we can’t knows if others missing features are missing on all games. what a pity regards

This was a common issue back in the Pentium 4 days on Windows too. These kinds of framebuffer effects could work but they were disabled by default because it made most systems crawl. Maybe it’s the same reason for Android devices, since i assume most people’s phones aren’t very powerful.

Other effects you can test (that use framebuffer in a similar way) is a similar screen in the first course in 1080 Snowboarding and the full screen Jigsaw transition effects in Banjo-Kazooie.

hi thanks for your confirmation. I try 1080 snowboarding but it crashes after the menu so I can’t see this. (try severals rom versions of the game) last revisions seems to be a bit buggy I will wait for stable revisions to make tests thanks

Hi sorry to bump this post but whith the new mupen64 next core and the glide plugin updated these days, I was thinking that the tunnel effect will be OK but now I only see a static weird picture like this:

Is someone on android is able to make this effect works on shield tv with this new core pupen64 next ? Thanks

A post was split to a new topic: Recommend a non-libretro N64 emu