Mupen64Plus and ParaLLEI won't start

I am having trouble getting either of the N64 cores to work. They either fail to load, or crash RetroArch entirely. The only details in the logs that stand out are related to the graphics driver. I tried switching this to various settings with no luck.

With RetroArch on dx11, I see this error:

• [libretro ERROR] mupen64plus: libretro frontend doesn’t have OpenGL support.[ERROR] Failed to load content.

With RetroArch on gl I don’t get an explicit error, but these lines do stand out:

• [WARN] [GL]: Stock GLSL shaders will be used.
  • [INFO] [Video]: Graphics driver did not initialize an input driver. Attempting to pick a suitable driver.
  • [INFO] [Video]: Found display server: null

This is the only driver that actually lists my graphics hardware; unfortunately it still doesn’t work.

With RetroArch on vulkan I see these errors:

• [libretro ERROR] mupen64plus: libretro frontend doesn’t have OpenGL support.[ERROR] Failed to load content.
  • en
  • [ERROR] [Vulkan]: Could not find instance extensions. Will attempt without them.
  • [INFO] [Vulkan]: Detecting screen resolution 0x0.

I can run many other emulators through RetroArch without issue, and I can run the Mupen64Plus standalone app just fine.

I am running RetroArch 1.7.5 on Windows 10. I have my latest graphics drivers, and the OS is up-to-date.

I do not have any custom core configuration, and I tried with a fresh download of RetroArch.

1 Like

You’ll need to use the GL driver, at least to start out. Once you get it loading, you can switch to angrylion+cxd4 and use any driver, if your CPU is fast enough.

Can you post a full log of trying to load with GL?

It seems that when changing the video driver, it doesn’t completely apply unless you restart RetroArch. It applies enough that I get different output from the emulators (that indicate that its trying to use the newly set driver), but not enough to actually work.

When trying to get logs to reply to you, I set the driver to gl, gracefully exited RetroArch, and then tried again and it worked without issue.

1 Like

I just ran into this issue as well. I have tons of settings for all my cores. So I’m hoping to stick with D3d as much as possible.

Anyone know if Mupen64Plus will eventually support d3d?

Or, is there a way, from CLI, to load RetroArch into openGL mode. So the rest of my system still use d3d?

Thanks!

no chance for d3d. If you’re launching from the command line, you can create a core override that switches it to GL, but it won’t work if you launch from inside RetroArch’s menus (i.e., it will crash when you try to re-open the menu).

The easiest way I know of to make the override is to set your driver to gl, launch a game, open the menu and change any single option (e.g., turn on the frame counter or something) and then, from the override menu, choose ‘save core override’. That will create the structure and config file for you. Open that config file with a text editor and it should have the single line for the option you changed, so just delete that line and replace it with video_driver = “gl”.

Then, next time you go into RetroArch, change your video driver back to d3d-whatever and then when you launch N64 games from CLI, it should trigger the override.

1 Like

Hey there. Finally getting to this.

I’ve followed your steps. But now I get the exact error as the first post. mupen64plus: libretro frontend doesn’t have OpenGL support.[ERROR] Failed to load content

It is loading that override or I wouldn’t be getting that error.

If I try to launch within RetroArch, it totally crashes the app.