Mupen64Plus is unplayable slow on Linux, runs full speed on Windows

As the title says, the Mupen64Plus core is very slow on my Arch Linux system, yet it runs at full speed on Windows. I’ve messed around with various settings trying to improve the speed, but nothing works. Is this a known problem or just me?

Could be drivers. Are you using an Nvidia card with the open source driver in linux, by chance?

I’m using an AMD 270X with the open source Mesa 17.0.5 (radeonsi).

hmm, i think that one’s supposed to have pretty decent performance…

I guess you could try the proprietary driver and see if that changes anything.

This problem is exclusive to the Mupen64Plus core. Beetle PSX runs at full speed, and so does the ParaLLEI N64 core.

Ckeck if you have shaders enabled. Played Yesterday with friends at horrible fps, didnt know why. The Culprit was 4XBRz Shader activated :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hello community.

I have a similar situation over here, running Mupen64Plus core with Retroach, in Arch Linux (I can’t compare with another OS because I only use Arch). It’s extremely slow (unplayable), so I tried to compile GLupeNn64 using the source in GitHub, but this one didn’t work, I got this error:

RetroArch [INFO] :: Skipping SRAM load..
RetroArch [INFO] :: Version of libretro API: 1
RetroArch [INFO] :: Compiled against API: 1
RetroArch [INFO] :: Set audio input rate to: 44100.00 Hz.
RetroArch [INFO] :: Timings deviate too much. Will not adjust. (Display = 59.94 Hz, Game = 50.00 Hz)
RetroArch [INFO] :: Video @ 960x720
RetroArch [INFO] :: Using HW render, OpenGL driver forced.
RetroArch [ERROR] :: Failed to connect to Wayland server.
RetroArch [INFO] :: GLX_OML_sync_control and GLX_MESA_swap_control supported, using better swap control method...
RetroArch [INFO] :: UST: 0, MSC: 0, SBC: 0
RetroArch [INFO] :: Found GL context: x
RetroArch [INFO] :: Detecting screen resolution 1440x900.
RetroArch [INFO] :: [GLX]: X = 0, Y = 0, W = 960, H = 720.
X Error of failed request:  GLXBadFBConfig
  Major opcode of failed request:  155 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  34 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  37
  Current serial number in output stream:  36

However, I’m able to play perfectly any SNES game I have tried so far. Issue related with some configuration process that I’m missing or is it related with my graphics card which is:

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Thanks a lot in advance, and I’m sorry for the sort of necrobumping, but I couldn’t find out how to create a new post.

It’s the only core in retroarch for me (on windows7) that runs too slow if I don’t go in my GPU panel and put performance on max. It throttles, that’s something with glideN64 that happens on other emus too for me.

As an extra info, I have just installed the isolated mupen64plus application on Arch Linux, and it works very well, so again, it’s the Retroarch core who brings troubles (I suppose related with configuration).

I have quite an old laptop that has been given a bit of extra life thanks to Linux distributions. I was able to run the likes of Project 64 with very little compatibility issues on Windows XP, but Mupen64 has been a nightmare! And trying to find another N64 emulator for Ubuntu is like trying to find hen’s teeth!

Troubleshooting from the core slowness and runtime errors, using the following configuration after many tests, plus some defaults as well: CPU core - dynamic_recompiler RSO Mode - LLE Bilinear fil … - 3pont MSAA level - 2 FrameBuffer Emulation - False Color buffer to RDRAM - Async tanks