N64 analog deadzone doesn't affect right analog stick

Trying to play Goldeneye and Perfect Dark with a more “modern” control scheme, so I use control scheme v 1.2 and then remap the analog stick to the right analog stick. Unfortunately this means my deadzone setting of zero isn’t applied, and instead I get a huge default, what I can only assume is the default 15%.

Anyone know of any workarounds for this? It should be possible right?

If you increase the deadzone does it have any effect?

Nope. After posting this I actually went and looked at the code. The physical controller’s right analog stick deadzone is hard-coded at 50%, and does not use the deadzone setting at all. I think for most games this is probably fine since the right stick is used for the c-buttons, but unfortunately it’s not ideal in this case. I opened a ticket on their github, and I might try recompiling with a lower deadzone but seems like a real pain.

I remember having a similar problem with the right stick and Goldeneye. Here’s the topic i made:

But that was fixed, i’m using the right stick in Goldeneye to aim around, without the huge deadzone it had before. Are you sure you are using a recent RetroArch build?

Interesting. I’m not using the nightly or anything, but I just downloaded it a week ago from the retroarch website. Did you do anything other than just remapping the sticks?

It’s weird to because I can see the hard coded value in the code, but maybe it can be swapped out somehow.

What version did you download? Try the latest nightly available. Pretty sure the stables are outdated.

Yeah, all i did was to remap the sticks. I didn’t do anything else or messed with the program in any way.

1 Like

Ill be following this

Thank you! Yep, the nightly works perfectly. Retroarch must have fixed the mapping within their own intermediate mapping or something (because I know I was looking at the latest mupen code where it’s hard coded).

Anyway, thanks so much for the suggestion to grab a nightly.

1 Like