N64 - Poor Image Quality

To have the screen output more close to the real hardware, I don’t like to increase the internal resolution. But for some N64 games the screen quality looks totally different than the real hardware, being practically impossible to read the texts.

The only solution is to increase the internal resolution? Is this a video plugin problem that does not render some games correctly?

Thanks.

What video plugin is that?

Have you tried Angrylion? That’s the accurate one. Though it’s very demanding.

This game looks like it normally has higher resolution in it’s menus. That’s why if you lock a lower resolution it will mess it up like this. Angrylion changes the internal resolution whenever it’s needed though.

I use Mupen64Plus Next.

I tried the Angrylion and the result was the same than increase the Mupen64Plus Next’s internal resolution to 640x480, but with very low performance…

I think that the only solution is increase the internal resolution. :frowning_face:

Thanks!

In angrylion (ParaLLEl core): Set tesolution to 640x480. It will always diosplay in real N64 resolution. It’s the most accurate display to real hardware. In Mupen64Plus Next (GlideN64): In fact, if you set it up for 320x240, it will lock to that resolution even for games whose native res is 480p (like the one you are showing us). If you set it up for 640x480, it will lock to that res even fopr 240p games, too. So, yes, it will be increasing internal res. This is a bug with HLE emulation of GlideN64. There’s even an open issue on github related to it, asking for native resolution option (so that the plugin changes resolution to what game is trying to render in real time).

I also like the most accurate to native hardware possible option. My HyperSpin setup is ParaLLEl angrylion+cxd4 for general use, and then I have some overrides for Mupen64PlusNext+GlideN64 for games which are too slow in ParaLLEl. For those games which I use Mupen, my default option is 640x480, with some overrides for 240p games.

Greetings.

3 Likes

Good to know that there is an open issue asking for native resolution option!

:heart_eyes: